Senior spends summer at Basic Training

Adam Triassi completes requirements during special Army program

Maggie Sandusky, Oracle Staff Writer

Every year approximately 80,000 men and women enlist in the Army. Senior Adam Triassi is going to be joining those ranks
Going into the Army has been his goal since he was 12, following after his brother.
Last summer Triassi went to basic training as part of the Split Options Program, which a recruit can join when he turns turn 17 and then go to basic. When Triassi graduates in June he’ll then attend Advanced Individual Training (AIT.)
“Even though my brother went Navy and I am going Army, my brother is really who introduced me to the military option,” Triassi said.
For some, the military is a stepping stone; you do your service and move on. Others use the military as a career path by going to college and commissioning.
“I am planning on going to college and commissioning at the moment; I’ll officially make up my mind after sophomore year,” Triassi said of his plans.
While attending college Triassi will also be in as a mechanic. Being an Army mechanic is similar to being a civilian mechanic, but instead of fixing a civilians car, Triassi will be fixing troop transportation vehicles along with other military vehicles.
Basic training by itself, without adding in a life in the military, seems intimidating. It conjures images of a tall drill sergeant, in a funny hat with his neck veins popping out screaming at a terrified and shivering recruit. It’s also notorious for forcing the new soldiers through intense physical challenges, like early morning PT (physical training) and singing in a chamber full of tear gas. By going into Basic Triassi knew he’d face intense physical and mental challenges.
“It started off mostly physical but over time it really became mentally challenging. I’d definitely say that the mental challenges were greater,” Triassi said.
What’s the value in this? What keeps driving people like Triassi into joining? The value of serving one’s country comes first to some people.
The military demands so much of its soldiers but it gives back in return. For many young men and women it provides structure and discipline. Even if the young soldiers go to college they have to abide by the rules of the Army.
Triassi will have an advantage when he finally decides on his path in the service.
“It teaches you a lot of discipline along with the Army values,” Triassi said about the benefits of joining.