Keeping the traditions going

Pictured above is math teacher Allen Dawson who tries to have a positive influence on his students. His tradition is writing encouraging messages on his whiteboard before every test to raise students' morale and to remind them of their potential.

Tuvshinbayer Otgonbayar

Tuvshinbayer Otgonbayar

Tuvshinbayer Otgonbayar, ETC. Editor

Test day or game day, everyone has their own ways/tools to achieve success.
Traditions or pregame rituals help students enter the right mindset before important events, but sometimes, they get a little… different.

The WS Cross Country Team is a dedicated team of students who race for a grueling three miles at local parks such as runs at long runs at Lake Accotink Park and Franconia Park. The length of races eventually take a toll on their mental determination to finish their run. As a result, boys’ cross country team wanted a very unique chant to get them in the right mindset before their races:

“Look to your left. Look to your right. What do you see? Grass. What makes the grass grow? Blood makes the grass grow!”

Although it may make you question the boys’ cross country team, it does have a deeper meaning.

“The chant says ‘Blood makes the grass grow’ as in blood, sweat, and tears makes the grass, our team, grow; growing as a team through blood, sweat, and tears is what helps us get through our races and develop as a team,” said sophomore Greg Johnson.

But this is not English class, they just need some simple words to get them in the mood to Spartan Kick their rivals.

“Before our games we always have a very intellectual and motivational speech from our goalkeeper, [sophomore] Chris Skebeiki. It helps us get into a good mood and improve as a team,” said sophomore JV soccer player Justin Raze.

WS is also home to academic traditions, including reviews days that help students to reduce their fear of tests and quizzes. Math teacher Allen Dawson writes a variation of “I believe in myself. I will pass this test,” on the board before each test and tells his students to repeat it.

“I feel like [students] need to loosen up and relax before a test. That’s why I do it,” said Allen. Allen began this practice in his first year of teaching, and the tradition lives on. Although Allen’s pretest tradition still lives, some great traditions came to an end, including the oldest WS tradition, Spartan Time.

“The best tradition we had was Spartan Time, and they just killed it. R.I.P. to you Spartan Time.” said junior Nathaniel Andres.

• Keeping the traditions going

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

• Keeping the traditions going

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

• Keeping the traditions going

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

• Keeping the traditions going

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

• Keeping the traditions going

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

• Keeping the traditions going

Global warming gears up

• Keeping the traditions going

Snow Day—finally!

• Keeping the traditions going

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

• Keeping the traditions going

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

• Keeping the traditions going

All that Jazz amazes us all

Keeping the traditions going