Students take a seat

Students usually dread being pulled aside by teachers; however, with the beginning of February came in-class conferences to discuss students’ future academic steps in that subject.

Every year around this time, WS counselors rush to help students pick the most fitting courses for the following academic year. The method in which this is done is ever-evolving, last year there was the curriculum fair, discussions during Spartan time, and counselor conferences.

The layer added this year includes a face-to-face suggestion from core class teachers, who in theory know the particular pupil’s work habits, homework completion rate, and in-class participation the best. World history teacher Mary Shipman finds this refreshing.

“Teachers wanted an efficient way to complete the [course-selection] process,” said Shipman. “All in an effort to properly place students into classes because in reality, teachers are the ones who see what they think students need to find success.”

While the idea is great, teachers had difficulty deciding which setting was best for the conversations, because telling a student that they should go into a regular course while the entire class is listening could offend students. For this purpose, even the hallway lacks privacy.

“Having everyone in the room makes some students extremely uncomfortable, but we do our best,” said Shipman.
Feedback that is negative but seemingly harmless may leave a student devastated, which is why it is argued that these discussions will damage the student-teacher relationship in the case of certain responses.

“This allows students to reflect on their performance,” said junior Andrew Brown. “It could make the student-teacher relationship better, or worse while knocking the student’s confidence down.”

Another argument was focused on the timing of this event. First semester has just ended, and the unofficial transcripts given out barely had any grades from this year. Additionally, there are still over four months left in this school year. There is an evident demand for courses to be set as soon as possible to organize classes, but many ask what the rush is.

“Beginning of fourth quarter would have been better for this. By then, teachers really know what students need most,” said Brown.

In the end, the desired result will hopefully come. Many students heard what they expected, while others were confused. What counselors hope this will bring is a sort of academic confidence and reassurance for students who are in-between options.

“I agreed with and had already planned to do what most of my teachers recommended,” said sophomore Sarah Banks. “I think in the fall there will be less people dropping out of classes they weren’t prepared for.”

Either way, it is merely a strong recommendation. Students are not forced to go with what their teachers say, but should discuss with counselors, parents, and partake in an inner reflection in order to choose balanced courses.

“In the end, the only person who knows you really well is yourself. Discuss with others, but do what you think you are capable of, and no less,” said Shipman.