We Want You…to register to vote

With the recently passed midterm elections as well as the presidential primaries and elections coming in just a few months, seniors are looking forward to the opportunity to finally take part in their democratic right to participate in elections.  The most effective way to express your political opinions is not through Twitter  (a common misconception) but through the ballot box.  So get registered Spartans and let your voice be heard!

With the recently passed midterm elections as well as the presidential primaries and elections coming in just a few months, seniors are looking forward to the opportunity to finally take part in their democratic right to participate in elections. The most effective way to express your political opinions is not through Twitter (a common misconception) but through the ballot box. So get registered Spartans and let your voice be heard!

Isabella Naccarato, Oracle Staff Writer

Seniors who have already turned 18 were given the opportunity to register to vote through the school until November 3rd.
The registration process can be confusing and difficult, especially to a student who has just come of age and is still stressing over upcoming college application deadlines and the continuous flow of homework. This opportunity provided by the school makes it easier for students to make the move towards adulthood and highlights the importance of young adults voting.
“The majority of the 18-25 demographic does not vote, therefore their voices aren’t being heard and opinions aren’t being considered,” said senior Jessica Rhee.
Since it is this age group that’s the future of America, it is important they do their best to vote for representatives that will make the government tailored to their own wants and needs. Let’s face it; the older generation voting now won’t be around much longer, the policies that they vote for may not be what the young people want.
“If you don’t vote, politicians don’t care about your needs. If you’re a voter, they care,” said government teacher Jason Croston.
It’s important to keep up with the news, including politics and any upcoming elections. Eventually it will be time to vote, and what happens with the government has always, and will always, affect ones’ life, regardless of age.
Registering to vote is also a big milestone to cross. When someone turns 18, it’s as if all this freedom is now bestowed onto them. But how can one prove that they have grown into a mature adult? Registering to vote shows responsibility, initiative, and an interest in the world outside of the high school bubble.
So once someone is registered, they can just go up to a voting booth and vote for a random person, right? Technically, yes, but it’s necessary for voters to be informed on who the candidates running are and what policies they plan on implementing and changing.
“You have to know what you want and who is going to give it to you,” said Rhee.
It’s crucial to understand what is going on in the world and the in country. It is especially important when the time comes that a student is eligible to vote, they can make a logical and informed decision. Listen up seniors! Voting season is just around the corner so make sure to register.
“You’ll be voting sooner than you think,” said Croston. “The government still affects you.”