Homelessness in FCPS

Seven Spartans are part of the larger snapshot as students face harsh reality

Anne+Marie+Colligan%2C+pictured+above%2C+plays+a+huge+behind-the-scenes+role+at+WS.+As+the+School+Social+Worker%2C+she+contacts+families+directly+to+find+cures+for+their+maladies.+Although+there+is+never+a+panacea%2C+Colligan%E2%80%99s+skills+include+assessing+different+circumstances+and+intuitively+problem-solving.+The+work+she+does+is+imperative+in+helping+students+experiencing+homelessness%E2%80%94or+any+challenge+they+may+face.+

Photo courtesy of Constanza Hasselmann

Anne Marie Colligan, pictured above, plays a huge behind-the-scenes role at WS. As the School Social Worker, she contacts families directly to find cures for their maladies. Although there is never a panacea, Colligan’s skills include assessing different circumstances and intuitively problem-solving. The work she does is imperative in helping students experiencing homelessness—or any challenge they may face.

Constanza Hasselmann, Oracle Editor

There are currently seven WS students experiencing homelessness, a fraction of the approximately 1,500 in the county. For these students, the challenges of high school are exacerbated by the realities of life.
But there are champions, both within WS and nationally, who work to mitigate the effects of these problems; with their help, these students can accomplish their goals.
“Not knowing about the issue is concerning,” said senior Ryan Harper, who was surprised when he learned about the scope of this problem in FCPS. “Even though [as students] we can’t do a lot, it should be addressed.”
Although she is often not in the spotlight, Anne Marie Colligan plays a major role at WS.
Beckoned by her friendly demeanor, students facing challenges at home can enter Colligan’s office and find an open ear. The Student Services office is frenzied, but at the end of the hallway awaits serenity, comfort, and resources.
As WS’s Social Worker, she equips students with the tools they need for academic success, whether it be through her work with the special education program or by communicating directly with families.
“I do some broader work with families and students to come up with a positive solution,” said Colligan.
She links students with organizations that help with rent, distribute food, and provide Internet connection for homework. (She also works with teachers for academic modification.) For homeless unaccompanied youth, short-term housing is available. And through her efforts, WS administrators have been supportive—they are on the students’ side.
“As other needs arise, I identify programs,” said Colligan. “But having lots of options to consider can also be a challenge for families.”
One of the largest initiatives required by the law is transportation assistance. This can take the form of free public bus passes, rerouting a school bus, or even gas cards to ensure the student can periodically stay in one place while attending their original school, according to what is in the student’s best interest.
But even with all of these procurable resources, students experiencing homelessness are afraid to voice the truth.
“It’s a challenge because unless families are willing to open up about needs,” said Colligan. “[In high school], there is a shame dynamic—students become hesitant to share.”
Part of this is the fault of insensitive peers: light-hearted teasing among friends can quickly go too far, leading the student to more secrecy. Oftentimes, Colligan is unaware of a student’s need until she hears from a teacher, through word-of-mouth information, or a random occurrence takes place. For students who are hesitant to come forward, there are many reasons to.
“Students should find a school staff member to talk to about anything, including homelessness, if they feel stressed or in crisis,” said Tami Eppolite and Kathi Sheffel, who both work at the FCPS Homeless Liaison Office. “The school team had has extensive training and can assist the student in accessing appropriate services.”
As a part FCPS’ large-scale initiative, Eppolite and Sheffel encourage concerned community members to donate gift cards that will be distributed to those in need. (For more information, visit https://www.fcps.edu/resources/family-engagement/information-homeless-families.)
Participating in extracurricular activities becomes difficult for students experiencing homelessness. Proper nutrition—especially for athletic endeavors—and transportation are among the most pressing concerns. The former is being addressed by Erik Foss: WS substitute, football coach, and quasi-silent advocate.
“Nutrition is important,” said Foss. “[When] not eating well, athletes are unprepared to participate.”
Foss provides post-workout snacks where peanut butter is the main ingredient; this is an effort to promote healthy, nourished athletes. At times, he purchases protein bars for the team, offering extras to students in need. Foss is receptive, not invasive, to those around him, which is a trait that allows him to further understand his athletes’ lives.
“People are good at hiding because of the reaction [to admitting the truth],” said Harper. “But it can’t hurt to help yourself.”
In 2011, almost 35 percent of all persons experiencing homeless in the county were under 18, 2,278 of whom were enrolled in a FCPS. Due to exemplary efforts over the last decade, homelessness in Fairfax County has decreased by roughly 42 percent. Yet the battle is far from over.
For over one million students nationwide, not having a home to do your “homework” in is not merely facing a challenge—it is utterly debilitating. But these students possess immense amounts of strength; against insurmountable odds, defying the doors that have been closed, they persevere. Paired with the right resources, students experiencing homelessness not only overcome their adversity, but conquer it. Their will to succeed—and the invaluable links involved—should be an inspiration to us all.
“Be there for your friends, it helps a lot. Ask how their day was and be available to listen,” said Foss. “[Homelessness] is hard to understand, but there are people in the same situation…Take the helping hand to better your circumstance.”