Spartans swim and dive for a successful season

Spartan swimmers and divers try to cap off from a rather successful season last year. They face a rather tough schedule.

LifeTouch

LifeTouch

Kiera Bothwell, Managing Business Systems Editor

With WS swim almost sporting an undefeated season last year, swimmers have a lot to live up to this upcoming season.
As the weather gets colder and the days get shorter, swimmers break out of hibernation and prepare for the swim season. WS swimmers line up daily for transport to the Wakefield Rec Center pool where they practice in order to live up to their previous record.
“We did so well last year, so there’s a lot of pressure building this year.” said sophomore Hailey Seaward.
The swim team could not be a great as it is if it weren’t for the students working hard behind the scene. Team managers organize the rosters, supplying water to the quenched athletes, and helping out during meets.
“It’s a serious matter when it comes to figuring out nicknames for everyone on the team and retrieving water bottles when athletes need a quick sip before they dive in,” said junior Dive Manager David Larson.
Captains have to keep athletes focused during practice and competitions while also worrying about themselves and their performances. When it comes to meets; they lead the team huddle and cheer, which can be very complicated and lengthy.
“It’s our job to organize the team in practice and inspire swimmers to do their best in both practice and in meets,” said junior swim Captain Josh Chapman.
As much as there is a lot of hard work involved, there is always time for the swim team to have a good time. Fun events including the senior banquet and team holiday party are just what’s needed to make the hard work worth it.
“The holiday party is definitely my favorite part of the season,” said Seward.
The swim team has many traditions throughout the season to ensure team bonding and cohesiveness. “Swim pals” are just one of the many things that bring athletes closer together. Before every meet, every athlete gifts their swim pal with his or her favorite things. It’s a great opportunity to get close to everyone on the team and get pumped for the meet.
“The team is so close-knit which really just makes the atmosphere so fun,” said Chapman.

• Spartans swim and dive for a successful season

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all

Black History Month assembly

In memoriam: Paola Izaguirre