Injuries have a major effect on team performance

From broken limbs to concussions, Spartan athletes have to sit

Peter Muskett wasn't at full strength when he had the breakaway against Annandale in the last game of the season. Muskett was out three games with a broken ankle.

Courtesy of The Washington Post

Courtesy of The Washington Post

By Noelle Ha, Oracle Online Editor

The performance of a player on a team of six to 60 can have a major effect on everyone, especially if that player is injured.

Missing one, let alone three games of a season is a big deal, especially if a senior is on a team that has 10 games per season, like football. Starting quarterback Peter Muskett was out for three games because of a broken ankle but came back at the end of the season, ignoring the pain, to leave a lasting legacy.

“It was definitely the greatest psychological challenge I’ve faced from football,” said Muskett, who is a senior, “It’s unfortunate that it happened as I really wanted to give everything I could for the school one last time and I’m tremendously sorry I couldn’t.”

Spartan student athletes have faced many injuries with recovery lasting from two weeks to several years. The most common injuries in high school are sprained ankles, torn or sprained ligaments and concussions.

A concussion is very common in any sport. The recovery can be from two weeks to three months it occurs when the brain moves rapidly in the skull leading to an unhappy brain.

“When I was concussed and wasn’t able to play, it was hard watching my team because I really wanted to play and contribute to the win,” said junior Diana Criste.

It doesn’t matter whether someone has a higher level of skill or a lower level. A team is one and every person, whether they play or not, has a part on the team and contributes.

“When someone’s injured, they can cheer and motivate their teammates. The team gets sad that their teammate isn’t playing with them but they are happy that they are still supporting them at games,” said sophomore Maggie Neumeyer.

The road to recovery is said to be one of the most frustrating things an athlete will have to go through. Being on the sidelines while watching your team play can be stressful to the player since they’re injured and can’t contribute on the field or court.

“I’m tremendously sorry I couldn’t, [play and give it everything] but I know the team and community will have my back regardless which I’ll never take for guaranteed,” said Muskett.

• Injuries have a major effect on team performance

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all

Black History Month assembly

In memoriam: Paola Izaguirre