Saying a final farewell to Officer Joe Plazio

After+eight+years+as+the+WS+School+Resource+Officer%2C+Officer+Joe+Plazio%2C+pictured+with+Security+Specialist+Mike+Ukele+and+his+replacement%2C+Ryan+Lacey%2C+is+pursuing+a+career+as+a+detective.+

Photo courtesy of Brittany Norris

After eight years as the WS School Resource Officer, Officer Joe Plazio, pictured with Security Specialist Mike Ukele and his replacement, Ryan Lacey, is pursuing a career as a detective.

Brittany Norris, Oracle Editor

Officer Joe Plazio has been a prominent figure in WS for the last eight years, and is now parting ways to take on a new role as a domestic violence detective.
Plazio’s last day here was October 7; his last duty was to deliver the game ball at the 50th Anniversary Hall of Fame Game that night. Plazio was replaced last week by Officer Ryan Lacey.
Although many people may find police officers intimidating, Plazio has broadened students’ perspectives and shown them the human side of that stereotype. His sense of humor and kindness to all members of our school has been a bridge between the student body and the security staff.
“Plazio is such a fun person to be around; instead of being intimidating as a police officer, he is one of the most laid-back adults in the schools,” said junior Theresa Ragann.
Ranging from run-of-the-mill disciplinary procedures to full-on arrests, Plazio’s experiences at WS have been anything but boring.
WS’s reputation for unfortunate incidents has required Plazio to take on many unconventional tasks during his time here. One such incident was the famous food fight of 2011, which has become such a legend that few can separate the facts of the event from myth.
“The 2011 food fight [was the most memorable],” said Plazio. “I had to gain control of the chaos, determine who started it, and decide whether charges needed to be filed.”
Being a School Resource Officer is different than other positions in the field because instead of being out on the streets catching criminals, they are at school interacting with students and faculty, as well as preforming various tasks throughout each school day.
“I get to come [to WS] unlike other positions in the field who are dealing with hard things,” said Plazio. “It’s different than your average day as a police officer.”
A School Resource Officer’s job is to ensure safety throughout the school, prevent juvenile delinquency, inform students of rights and responsibilities, and investigate criminal activity involving students or faculty.
Despite the apparent ease with which Plazio performed his duties, it is clear that his job has been far from easy.
Unlike an officer in the field, his responsibilities at WS have involved forming relationships with students and staff in order to ensure that every individual at the school feels safe and secure.
“Being a School Resource Officer is about developing a relationship with the students of the school and gaining their trust,” said Plazio.
Students and staff alike agree that Plazio has done an outstanding job providing himself as a trustworthy adult and friend to his peers. WS will be sad to see him go, but is thankful to have received eight years of his dedicated service.
“WS won’t be the same,” said Ragann. “That sense of fun that he brought really impacted everyone.”