Opposing views on the new late start

Isabella Naccarato, Staff Writer

Beginning in the 2015-2016 school year, Fairfax County has implemented a later start time so that students have the opportunity to get more sleep. But does this late start really benefit students the way the county claims it will? High schools are now starting at 8:10 a.m. and ending at 2:55 p.m., which doesn’t seem like that much of a change.
Getting out of school at 2:55 p.m., the beginning of rush hour, causes major traffic with buses, teen drivers, and commuters on major roads like Rolling and Old Keene Mill. With the new late start after school activities like sports, jobs, and clubs are pushed to starting and ending later. With activities ending so late students are unable to begin their schoolwork and other household chores until they return.
The majority of students know homework can take up most of any free time students have when school ends, causing some to stay up until midnight, or possibly later. If students were really going to benefit from the later start classes would have to be shorter so that activities could start as soon as possible. Teachers would also need to limit the amount of homework they are allowed to assign students per night. The time spent on each class’s homework assignments can add up, only hurting the students sleep schedule.
Unless the county plans on shortening the school day or making some sort of mandate on the amount of homework per night, the issue of high school students not getting enough sleep will always be intact.
Now there are some benefits to the later start to be taken into consideration. For one, some students have a free or study hall period that can be used to get a head start on any homework assignments to be done later in the evening. In completing their assignments earlier, students will not have to stay up late and can get the full nights rest.
The extra time in the morning can benefit those who are early risers. Students will have more time to finish any assignments not done the previous night and have time for a healthy breakfast, which will help them be more awake and focused through out the day. It’s inevitable, especially in the way our society thinks, that a student will put their grades and homework above their mental and physical health.
The problem with sleepy teenagers in 8 a.m. classes will always be a problem, and it is up to the student as an individual to make the choice between homework and sleep. Will the late start allow students to get more sleep? Only time will tell.