Keep calm and renovate on

Along the English hallway, Rooms 212-237, including our Journalism Program HQ, will be demolished to make way for the front of the new and improved WS.

Caroline Wittich, Sports Editor

There is going to be major construction that is going to go down on our school, but there are so many rumors flying around about it that it creates confusion.
As students, we need to be aware of the happenings within our school, including how it will be ripped apart and redone.
So where can students, parents, and the community as a whole go to get all of this information?
As of now the only place to go for concrete knowledge is to the people right in the epicenter of the action; Director of Student Activities Andy Muir has a packet in his office that holds everything there is to the renovation. There is information in general as to when the trailers are going in, to as detailed as which electrical wire goes to what circuit.
The problem with making the details public is that, “all of this will change because, like all renovations, mishaps occur and we’ll have to rearrange things to accommodate,” Muir said.
There is no purpose in making the detailed information about the renovation public when it is going to change so frequently, but the rumors fluttering about do get annoying so here are some details that Principal Mike Mukai and Muir have relayed. The practice field will start to be transformed for the trailers on November 5; this is a three to five month process that will determine the start of the bigger renovations that rely on the move of students in order to begin. The lot next door (with the single house and shed) is being considered for the expansion of the property, but in order to buy it, $800,000 has to be taken out of somewhere in the budget and as of now, that has not happened.
To clarify on parking, Mukai said, “There are 292 spots that are not going to be available for a while; there are only 260 senior spots. If you do the math, there are 32 spots that the faculty is losing, too.”
The most anticipated part is the finish to this complicated process and that, as of now, is scheduled for the spring of 2020.The start of the renovation process, in case you’ve missed the gazillion trailers blocking the view of the stadium, has already begun.
Being aware of what to expect with this major change to our school would be ideal, but with a renovation this massive, things are going to change and schedules will definitely get jostled. The most beneficial way for us to deal with this renovation process is to go with the flow and be optimistic about the outcome, because great things are going to come out of this (even if you’re not here to witness it).