‘You can’t switch out of classes!?’

Junior+John+McHale+shows+his+eagerness+to+pick+his+senior+year+classes.+Because+students+next+year+will+have+limitations+on+dropping+classes%2C+they+have+to+spend+a+lot+of+time+thinking+about+what+they%E2%80%99ll+choose+for+next+year.+

Photo courtesy of Brittany Norris

Junior John McHale shows his eagerness to pick his senior year classes. Because students next year will have limitations on dropping classes, they have to spend a lot of time thinking about what they’ll choose for next year.

Brittany Norris, Page One Editor

Forcing students to choose their classes for next year in February, before they even know what they really want to take is a disaster waiting to happen.
Every year, hordes of students flock to the guidance counselors in the first weeks of school to switch their schedules. Students are blamed for not choosing their classes with care but perhaps the real reason lies in the fact that students are required to choose their classes months before they know what they want to take.
This year, class-picking took place nearly two months earlier than usual. The big problem counselors always have on their hands come September is about to get a whole lot bigger.
Not only are students forced to make decisions that could possibly affect their whole future, they must make those choices based on only a semester of grades.
The reasoning behind the acceleration of this process is that the earlier students make their choices, the more time they have to change their mind but this all seems too good to be true.
The reality is, the counselors will most likely be dealing with even more students than usual cramming up their offices with concerns regarding their classes for next year.
Next year, the administration says it will be extremely difficult for a student to switch out of a class. Students choosing their classes early, is supposed to get the class schedules together more efficiently but the counselors’ jobs could become a whole lot harder.
By giving students more time in between choosing their classes and the end of the year, it could cause a lot of students to change their mind for what classes they might want to take. We’re only halfway through the school year, so some students may not know how they’re doing in a class or how they will be doing by the end of the year, so choosing classes early could cause tons of confusion.
By changing their mind, counselors are given an extra work load, but this year since students will not be allowed to change or switch any classes, they will be forced to sit in a class they don’t like, or is too rigorous for them.
If a student required to go to a class that is too difficult for them, it could possibly hurt their chances of getting into their favorite college or university.
All schedule changes must be addressed by May 20, and if a student wishes to change after that date, they will be denied due to the new policy, which could possibly frustrate many students, parents, teachers, and counselors.
Picking classes early just doesn’t seem to make sense here, considering the problems that could come of it.