The class of ’17 doesn’t have to be united

The class of ’17 shows its spirit at a football tailgate toward the beginning of the season.

Courtesy of Sophie Shidlovsky

Kiera Bothwell & Sophie Shidlovsky, Oracle Staff Writers

Senior year of high school is as busy as everyone perceives it to be. Homework, college applications, AP classes, sports, clubs, friends and homework. It is an endless cycle that circles around and around until the glorious day of graduation. For the past four years we have been picking our friend groups and settling into our “crowd.”
Some believe that in our senior year, we should all be unified as one. We believe the Class of 2017 is unified, but not as unified as some would like. No, we’re not all friends with each other and hang out on the weekends and we don’t
all chat and mingle at senior rail. Everyone has his or her own group and those will not likely change within the course of a year. The truth is, the day you walk across the graduation stage and look out into the sea of blue cap and gowns, will be the last time you see most of your peers.
The senior class does not lack complete unity. We are able to come together at pep rallies, sporting events, float building, and other activities that make senior year more enjoyable, but after these events we retreat back to our usual groups and go on with our daily lives.
It’s not that the senior class has a lack of unity, we are all united in separate groups and come together when needed.
After all, who can really keep up with having hundreds of best friends? It would be quite exhausting to say hi to every senior passerby in the school hallways.
Now, this may seem pessimistic, but being friends with everyone in your high school class just isn’t realistic. High school is supposed to prepare you for the reality of the cold, hard world. If everyone was our best friend for the past four years, getting into the real world would be a forceful punch to the gut. Getting along with everyone is just not something that happens in life, so why should we attempt the impossible before we all go off on our separate ways?
As we all ‘roll deep with our squads’ on the final countdown of our high school days, moments of senior class unity can be an occasional delight for everyone, however, just because we don’t all have to be friends, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be nice and respectful to each other. We may not all be best friends and we certainly don’t even know everyone’s name, but when there are times that we come together, we definitely shouldn’t fight it.

• The class of ’17 doesn’t have  to be united

Join the walk and take a stand against trafficking

Romano honors mom during yearly Raccoon Run

Minds matter, so protect them—wear a helmet

Building trust

International Night showcases Spartan diversity

FCPS students reach out to others during Spring Break in Ecuador

Honoring the memory of Leslie Sherman

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up