25 years of doing her PART: Becky Mullins is one Spartan who never stops working

Leaky toilets, broken chairs and desks, empty soap dispensers—Becky Mullins has seen it all. 

As head of the custodial staff, Mullins is celebrating her twenty-fifth year as a Spartan. Prior to coming to WS, Mullins worked as a salesperson and a cashier at Toys “R” Us for 10 years. She began working at WS in 1985 as a custodian, and then moved her way up to become boss.

When she first started the job, Mullins never thought she would continue working as a custodian. As the years passed, however, Mullins never thought of leaving.

“Every year is my favorite,” said Mullins. “It has become my second home.” 

Mullins loves the students and believes they know how to take care of the place. Even though she does not get the chance to learn the students’ names, she observes that they are respectful towards her and her custodial staff.

Along with her love for the students at WS, Mullins enjoys her custodial staff. Over the years, she has become well accustomed to working with them and the custodial system of the school.

Principals and other staff members have come and gone while Mullins has worked at WS, all with the same expectations.

“Becky is a great person to work with,” said Betsy Fawsett, Assistant Director of Student Services, SGA sponsor, and head cheerleading coach. “She works hard to keep a clean school and learning environment.”

While the staff has changed over the years, the facilities and fixtures certainly have not. Besides a few changes to the sports lobby, auditorium, and library, the same structure that was in Mullins’ hands 25 years ago, still remains today.

In Mullins’ opinion, the “Spartans do your PART” system was a good thing for the staff to instill within the students.

She has witnessed many years of students at WS and she recalls that they have all been great kids in a great environment, though the PART system helps.

“In three years when I leave,” said Mullins, “I will be very sad.”