There’s no ‘I’ in TEAM

This spring, Team Teaching Science hits shelves at universities all over.

Physics teacher Ed Linz and Active Physics/Special Education teacher Mary Jane Heater collaborated with a professor from Heater’s UVA graduate program and used their combined knowledge of team teaching to write Team Teaching Science.

This textbook is targeted toward college-level students who are pursuing a career in teaching as well as all towards instructors who intend to teach kindergarten through 12th grade, along with special education classes.

“It’s a textbook for university’s instruction for teachers, as well as Special Ed.,” said Linz.

Writing is nothing new to Linz; in fact, he’s retiring after this year to pursue a fulltime career in writing. Linz has written They Never Throw Anything Away, which is an oral history of the Great Depression, and he is currently in the process of writing another book entitled Hurtling in Space.

Linz is also known under the pen name Eyes Right for his opinion column in The Exchange, which he’s been writing since 1979.

“I’m known for using alliteration in my titles,” said Linz. “You can find all my articles online.”

Heater, however, is relatively new to writing professionally. Team Teaching Science will be only the second work she has had published, the first being an article that she wrote with Linz.

It was the insistence of her UVA professor that inspired her to expand the 15-page article into a 150 page textbook.

“I never thought I would write anything in my entire life,” said Heater. “But my experiences in teaching and a professor’s reasoning convinced me.”

Linz’s experience as a Physics teacher and Heater’s work mainly as a special education instructor was combined to show prospective and full-time teachers methods of teaching science and discipline in a team teaching environment.

“I did more of the research and diagrams,” said Heater. “ He [Linz] found the publisher.”