Spartans celebrate Dr. Seuss: School musical pays homage to famous children’s author

The Cat in the Hat is back with a colorful cast.

In the theatre department’s upcoming performance of “Seussical: The Musical,” this iconic Cat joins a slew of other characters from dozens of Dr. Seuss books to form a fun, whimsical play. The cast for the play has just been selected, with senior Ben Laubacher playing Horton the Elephant.

“I credit being able to hit most of the vocal range pretty well [in gaining this part],” said Laubacher, who also thinks that how someone looks as the part affects whether they are chosen for a role. 

Right now, the actors are in their early stages of preparing for the part. They are memorizing lots of lines, going to group rehearsals, and some of them are doing other, some might say, unorthodox things to prepare to play their new roles.

Senior James Walker is not sticking to the traditional path of study for his two roles as Yertle the Turtle and one of the Wickershams brothers.

“[To prepare for these parts I will do] meditation [for] two to three hours a day, I am going to repeatedly read Dr. Seuss novels, and I might try to channel his dead, departed spirit,” said Walker.  “I am the greatest Seuss fan.”

Senior Kathryn Howard, who has been in nearly every school production during her four years will be playing the Sour Kangaroo, which she described as a diva that is angry with Horton for staring at a “stupid” clover for a long time.

“It’s a really lively part. It’s originally played by a big black woman; I hope that’s okay to say, she’s a sassy lady, and it’s fun to play,” said Howard.

Senior J.D. Fortney will be playing Cat in the Hat number two. 

“[I’m] super-excited. I mean, it’s the Cat; what’s not to love?” said Fortney, who has just started memorizing his part and getting into character. “The Cat has to be really loose so that’s something that I have to get real good at.”

Some people are worried about it all coming together correctly, since this is the first time they’re doing a play that is completely sung, unlike last year’s musical that had lines interspersed in between.

Overall, however, the cast is pretty excited about the upcoming show.  

“It’s going to be a blast!” said junior John D’Angelo, who will also be starring as the Cat in the Hat. “We have a great cast [and] great techs working in our tech department.  It’s going to be a phenomenal show.”