Brandt puts on a hard hat

Photo courtesy of Murwah Murad

After many years at WS, Former assistant principle, Becky Brandt, puts on a new hat this year and takes over construction.

Sherry Virden, Oracle Editor

School is already hectic with about 2,400 students trying to get to class every day, but add in an extensive renovation, and it becomes chaos.
Luckily, former assistant principal Becky Brandt has stepped up to the plate and become the renovation liaison between WS and the construction company.
“Some of what I’ve been doing is to communicate school schedules and issues to the construction guys,” said Brandt. “I have tried to help get the Sparta trailers ready for fall—figuring out and communicating the safe access paths around construction for staff and students.”
Brandt became an assistant principal back in 2004, giving her an impressive 11 graduating classes with whom she has worked. Before she earned her administrator status, she worked on the tech side of the school, becoming familiar with not only the people in it, but the building itself. As someone with so much experience at the school and aware of the needs of students and staff, Brandt seemed like the perfect candidate to both the construction company and the faculty to become the liaison.
“She knows where technical drops are, and lines for different things that a person not familiar with the building would not know, so she has that historical knowledge,” said Assistant Principal Shannon Matheney. “She also has relationships with staff and the custodians, so it’s easier for her to have those conversations; she didn’t have to spend time building relationships first because she has those relationships.”
Although Brandt is able to resolve problems for the WS community and make the process a little smoother for everyone involved, there are still aspects of being an administrator that her new career can’t replace. Brandt admitted to missing the constant interaction with students, mourning their struggles and celebrating their successes.      Nevertheless, she remains optimistic about her less participative situation.
“[I’m] still at WSHS (just behind the fence)—and I am still working with people doing great work so—all good!” said Brandt.
With her new job, Brandt is able to enjoy the new perks of a flexible schedule and a change of pace from administrative work while remaining at the school she’s loved working at for years.
“Ms. Brandt had sort of gotten to the time where she was eligible to retire from Fairfax County Public Schools, and I think that once she was aware that there was a position, she felt like it would be a good match for her because she knows the building, she knows the layout, and she didn’t really truly have to retire, but she could do something else,” said Matheney.
The WS community has welcomed Brandt as a constant fixture for years. Although she’s no longer on the school’s staff, she can always be found on the grounds with her trusty hard hat and fluorescent vest.
“To continue to be a part of the community I love—and at the same time have a little more flexibility to assist with my parents and home stuff—sounded like a dream come true,” said Brandt.