WS Theatre keeps it real

Seniors Eila Nash, Eliza Moss, and Yosef Etana and junior Brandon LaBarge perform short plays they created about real issues.

Mia Oppler, Oracle Editor

Stereotypes, stress, and self-identity are just a few of the current topics the Theatre 3/4 students chose to focus on in mini plays they wrote and performed in December.
Theatre teacher Bernie DeLeo prompted his students to think of societal issues that they were able to directly relate to and were important to them. Then he let go of the reigns.
“We had really in depth talk sessions about issues that bombard them,” said DeLeo, “I put [them] into groups and said go. They started improvising scenes and then they beat out a structure and it just grew and grew.”
The 15-20 minutes plays were performed in Spartan Hall on December 1st in front of several parents, counselors and their fellow Theatre classmates. Each play highlighted a specific issue but touched on other problems in society such as objectifying women, fitting in, and feeling the judgement of others.
“It really helps to show people how we really feel in times of stress in high school,” said senior Yosef Etana.
Although there was light humor placed throughout the plays to keep the audience laughing, the plays were centered on serious themes and meant to send a message.
“We were trying to make [the audience] feel uncomfortable with the comments we made so it could impact them more,” said senior Jana Kalivoda.
The student performers found this experience to be eye-opening; they got to discuss issues their peers wanted to address by implementing them their plays.
“It allowed us to see the different outlooks on issues from everyone,” said senior Eila Nash.
Based on the positive feedback from viewers of the play, DeLeo is hoping to possibly have these plays performed for a bigger WS audience.
“The progress of the new auditorium means it should be done by end of March,” said DeLeo, “We’ll have [the students] rehearse and then put the plays on during Learning Seminars during April/May.”