Mind over mess

Photo courtesy of Jade Hanson
“Seeing dirty stuff makes me stressed and cleaning just gives my mind a reset. It’s also so good for your mental health,” said freshman El Ross.

Imagine a scene of chaos: piles of unfolded clothes create small mountains, while half-completed science posters and scattered math worksheets cover every surface. Concentration becomes a challenge as the clutter seems to mirror the state of an overwhelmed mind. In the spirit of spring, students wonder if tidying up could be the solution to clear thought.
“In a clean environment, I’m able to work harder and smarter to be more successful,” said freshman Brian Carr.
A study published in 2010 by the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin suggests that people with messy living areas tend to feel more stressed and tired. Clearing out clutter not only tidies up the environment but also creates space for a clearer mental state
Freshman Audrey Erickson’s own experience mirrors these findings.
“When I went home and deep cleaned, I felt so much more down to earth. I used to come home feeling trapped by the piles of different stuff everywhere,” said Erickson. “After clearing out half my closet and organizing my room, I’ve noticed less daily stress.”
Contrarily, not all students find a tidy space improves their focus or stress levels.
“I don’t really notice a difference in my stress when things are neat or messy. My focus depends more on my mood or how much I like the subject I’m studying,” said sophomore Caroline Cantillo.
School counselor Madison Fleming spoke from professional experience regarding the connection between mind and mess.
“I think cleaning is important to everyone’s health. I know it can feel like a chore, but when it is over, I really enjoy my space with my family,” said Fleming. “If you have focus issues, seeing a cluttered space could be extremely distracting and keep you from other tasks you need to complete. Cleaning up a messy room can give you a sense of accomplishment so that you feel you have achieved something on your to-do list.”
The importance of cleanliness has been recognized for centuries, with many cultures incorporating cleaning rituals into their traditions. In her article about ‘oosouji’, Yukari Yamano explores the Japanese end-of-year tradition of deep cleaning to welcome the new year with purified spaces. This tradition acknowledges the link between cleanliness and the enhancement of mental clarity.
Small changes in one’s environment may be the key to a calmer and more energized student. Psychologists recommend starting with manageable tasks, such as decluttering a corner or organizing your desk, to enhance your mental clarity and energy levels. Transforming your space can transform one’s mood.