Rise of the Stanley Cup

The Stanley Cup has not only provided excitement for Spartans due to its exterior, but also has helped users reach their water intake goals. “Ultimately, I really like it, and I’m more hydrated,” said Nash.
Photo courtesy of Ben Bradfield

In an era where the Hydro Flask once soared over a river of popularity, the Stanley Cup has taken over. Armed with a handle, plastic lid, and straw, it is seen throughout the hallways, in the classroom, and beyond.

“Depending on my mood, I’ll bring different water bottles to school. I know Hydro Flasks and Stanley Cups are very popular because they’re known for insulating the water really well,” said senior Alyssa Delmonico.

In addition to the technical aspects of the Stanley Cup (often shortened to “Stanley”), it also has the possibility to inspire business under the clear lid.

“People have created companies because of a leakage problem, so [there is a product] that stops it,” said Delmonico.

Beyond the benefits flowing out of the cup, there is also a narrative to be explored under the surface. To Spartans like Delmonico, every Stanley has a story.

“I actually got my Stanley Cup for Valentine’s Day from my best friend, who I love very much,” said Delmonico.

Delmonico is not alone in a sea of positive thoughts of the Stanley. Other Spartans cite similar reasons for riding the waves of the Stanley Cup.

“It fits in my car cup holder, while my Hydro Flask doesn’t, so it would just be rolling around my car. I can just stick [my Stanley Cup] in my car,” said senior Hayden Wilkerson.

“It is like having a handle and a straw on your shoulder. It felt very practical.”

— senior Hayden Wilkerson

Students are not alone in their benevolent thoughts of the Stanley Cup, as teachers have found comfort from them as well.

“I first learned about them from TikTok over the summer, and I thought they were cute,” said theatre teacher Maeve Nash. “Then, I put it on my birthday list because they’re so overpriced. My parents got me one, and I started using it. I was like ‘Oh, this is actually really high quality.’”

Despite the gleaming, sturdy exterior of the Stanley Cup, there is a flood within. Students and teachers are not ignoring the plastic material enshrouding the cup. While there are benefits in the bottle, it comes at a cost.

“I don’t think [the Stanley Cup is] worth it. I think that the price has gone way up because of the popularity,” said Nash.

Along with the price paid, customers receive a water bottle that can store more than liquids.

“People who own Stanley Cups sometimes don’t know that they can take the lid apart. There’s mold in there. It grows really easily. So make sure you take the lid apart and clean it,” said Delmonico.

Despite the varying perspectives of Stanley Cups, Spartan customers describe a general satisfaction with their purchase.

“My Stanley has been there. He’s been there for everything,” said Wilkerson.

A stream of consciousness: which water bottle(s) do students use?

What water bottle do you use?

Why did you choose to purchase this specific type of water bottle?

Is the Stanley Cup worth the price?