Sounds or silence

As pictured, 86% of students polled prefer music during studying, while 14% prefer to not.
Photo courtesy of Whitney Moffa

The overwhelming majority of students listen to music while studying. However, current research does not necessarily support any academic benefits from the practice, as music with lyrics can be detrimental to studying.
According to research from a 2021 Texas A&M University study, listening to music with words can be detrimental to cognitive focus while studying. Despite this, a survey conducted by The Oracle suggests that 86% of students listen to music while they study, with 60% listening to music with lyrics.
AP World History teacher Stephanie Shimp took a course in musical neuroscience for her master’s degree at Grand Canyon University. The correlation between music and studying was a part of the curriculum.
“Anything with lyrics, if you are not consciously focused on them a part of your brain is subconsciously focused on processing the language, doesn’t help with comprehension and focus as much as music that doesn’t have lyrics,” said Shimp. “Classical music and light jazz helped people retain knowledge more so than music with lyrics.”
Some students’ choice to listen to music depends on the subject they are working on. For wordy subjects such as English and history, a quieter study environment is preferred than subjects involving numerical data, like math.
“If I’m studying history, usually white noise is more helpful because it doesn’t distract me. When I’m studying something that involves less words like math, I love to listen to music,” said sophomore Ryleigh McGowen.
In college, Shimp had a theory regarding music and academic performance.

“I listen to music when I’m studying. It just helps me focus and stay working.”

— Sophomore Olivia Branco

“I would have a set instrumental soundtrack for each class that I listened to every time I studied. On my way to take the exam in that class I would listen to the same music that I did when I studied,” said Shimp. “I don’t know whether it worked, but I did pretty well in college.”
Aside from comprehension, music can help students to think in different ways and enhance creativity.
“If I’m listening to sentimental and moving classical music, and say I’m writing, I tend to be more expressive and intricate in my writing. Or when I listen to rap when I’m doing math, I really zone into what I’m doing and perform better when I’m solving problems and come up with new and creative ideas,” said Jaslyn Nguyen.
The recent YouTube trend in low fidelity (lo-fi) music consisting of low tempo beats and electronic hip-hop has become a popular study soundtrack for many students. Senior Colton Jones is a music and computer technology academy student who specializes in composing lo-fi beats.
“I think [making lo-fi music is] much easier to do since it’s usually just used as background noise so you don’t have to make the piece very complex,” said Jones. “I just try to use softer, more calming drums and bells. I also like putting in an aspect of nature like birds or the rain.”
Jones believes that lo-fi music’s ambient feel makes for great music to improve focus as opposed to music with lyrics.

“It depends on the class. For example, if I’m studying for my French class, I’m listening to French music, and in math, I’ll listen to pop because it’s really boring.”

— Freshman Chafic Anthony Chebat

“[I think lo-fi is a good genre to listen to while studying] because it’s chill. With rap and pop and stuff it’s very loud compared to lo-fi. It’s just kind of in the background while something like rap is really in your face,” explained Jones.
According to the same survey conducted by The Oracle, 14% of WS students prefer a quiet study environment. Some students who take an interest in music admit that it can distract them at times.
“Music does help me focus, but at times it can be distracting,” said sophomore Leah Kim. “It depends on what I’m listening to.”
Shimp concludes that because each person is unique, and what works for one person may not work for others.
“Some people need it to be completely silent, some people can deal with noise around them, and for some people it helps them focus,” said Shimp. “Light classical and jazz helps me focus, but that’s not going to be true for everyone.”