Micro-beauty trends: reduce, reuse, and recycle

To the plain eye, this girl is just applying blush, right? WRONG. She’s attempting to emulate the true essence of strawberry, starting with finding the perfect shade of blush. One shade too red and she might get mistaken for a raspberry girl. There couldn’t be anything that’s possibly worse.
Photo courtesy of Evelyn Gazzola

Strawberry girl makeup, tomato girl makeup, cherry-cola lips; the rise of micro-beauty trends have received quite the fruitful response. Though it may seem like a global fruit shortage is occurring before our eyes, it’s actually just creatively named makeup looks.
Over the summer, the rise of the “tomato girl” makeup look made its mark in the beauty community. The look consists of a dewy base, heavy blush, mascara, and fluffy brows. What exactly is the difference between this and strawberry girl makeup, sunkissed girl makeup, or maybe “no-makeup” makeup? Well, nothing really. They’re all generally composed of the same few components. Intelligent minds would know that in the long run this is just being resourceful, so next year, when we shift from tomatoes to pomegranates, no products will go to waste.
“As someone who takes a lot of interest in beauty and fashion, I am confused when food is associated with these beauty trends because I get disappointed when glazed donut nails don’t actually have donuts,” said senior Evelyn Gazzola. “I’m hungry.”
This is quite an uninformed perspective. The only thing that should come to one’s mind when hearing the phrase “glazed donut” nails are nude, pearlescent nails, obviously. Courtesy of Hailey Bieber, of course. More than anything, who even gets glazed donut nails anymore—‘tis the season for pumpkin spice and chocolate-glazed nails.
“So if I were to get orange nails for fall or something, would they be called orange-glazed nails?” asked senior Nour Mokbel. “This reminds me of when I wanted to paint my nails light blue and was asked if I was following the blueberry milk nail trend.”
Now, it should be common knowledge at this point that Bieber is the trendsetting queen, and she proved herself once again this fall. As the world waited patiently for her return, she shocked us all with something mind-blowing: a brown bob. This groundbreaking hairstyle totally isn’t the same shade of brown that comes back into trend every single autumn. No, it’s cinnamon cookie butter brown. A little bit of a questionable color palette considering her past, but luckily this time she isn’t wrapped up in backlash over cultural appropriation! It does, however, sound just as enticing as brownies. Add a shot of espresso and it could double up as your next coffee order. Versatility at its finest!
“Certain looks repeat with different names and get recycled just like how aesthetics often come back similarly under a different name or fashion item as well, which is giving capitalism, but it’s camp I guess,” said Gazzola.
Social media platforms, TikTok especially, have established a platform for influencers to keep up with the cycles of quick content. This content begins to cater to and determine our tastes despite often being vaguely similar. Some get-ready-with-me videos are served with a side of a growing loss of individuality and the glorification of “quiet luxury”. This is a contrastingly loud reminder of a lifestyle that is only attainable for the wealthy. So yes, it is giving capitalism. But who really cares, right? As long as we can all pull off the caramel latte, Lana Del Ray vinyl, nepo-baby, coquette, off-duty model look, unity will finally be restored.