Military children on the move

Crafted by the 2022 Military Ambassadors Club, this map traces the movements of military-connected Spartans, using colored strings to represent each individual’s journey. The interconnected paths illustrate the constant convergence of military families.
Photo courtesy of Jeff Toomer

On average, every two and a half years, military families pack their lives into cardboard boxes and move wherever duty calls. In honor of the Month of the Military Child, military-affiliated staff and students shared their unique perspectives and ways that WS can become a more military-friendly school.
One of the biggest advantages of being a military child is the opportunity to visit diverse areas and make friends all over the world.
“As a military kid, I get to meet new people and have exciting experiences,” said sophomore Lizzie Graham, vice president of Military Ambassadors Club (MAC). “I get to find the good parts of each place and cherish them.”
The constant relocation definitely has its advantages, some of which are deeper than one might expect.
“This lifestyle has made change a very natural part of my life, and I adopted an eagerness to embrace new and different experiences,” said senior Coco Ahn. “Having to move to new homes, countries, languages and lifestyles, has developed my resilience and open-mindedness.”
Military kids often adapt to find the positive in every situation. Even though many friends are lost in the shuffle, they learn valuable lessons about social connections.
“Moving so much has taught me the value of a genuine friendship and the importance of having good friends, even if it is for a short time,” said Graham.
The unique experience of military dependents does not stop at social relationships. Having to move every two and a half years (the average relocation time of military families according to the Department of Defense in 2023) severely affects many students’ education, especially if a relocation is across state or national borders.
Former Spartan Madison Bell had to retake sophomore English during the summer before her senior year due to these curriculum differences.

“We want to focus and devote so much of our heart towards serving the military families.”

— Michael Mukai, principal

“It was extremely frustrating to take these classes that felt like a step backward from my previous trajectory, especially when I missed out on courses I had planned to take,” said Bell.
While situations like Bell’s are unavoidable, changes are being made to better accommodate adjusting students.
“As new military kids and families come in, we can and will meet their individual needs,” said principal Michael Mukai. “They deserve to have a community that adjusts to what they need, just like they’ve had to adjust to the needs of our country. We’ll keep improving, and we’ll keep finding ways to help.”
One of the most impactful resources available at WS is the military and family life counselor, Kendra Burnside. Although she is technically a Department of Defense staff member lended to WS part time, the difference she has made is unparalleled.
Mukai advocates strongly for Burnside to work full time at WS, considering the immense impact she has already had on the school.
“We want to focus and devote so much of our heart towards serving the military families,” said Mukai. “The military should help us do it and the Department of Defense should help us do it, especially since Burnside is so good at what she does. So if I have one thing I want, that’s it: Ms. Burnside working full time.”
April is considered to be the best time to expand understanding of military children’s lives. Spartans can celebrate the Month of the Military Child by wearing purple during Purple Up! Day on April 17, taking a look at the colorful poster displays, or just reaching out to a military-affiliated friend to learn more about their life.