Should UGG shoes be pushed under the rug?

Junior Hannah Armah is wearing Tasman UGGs paired with Sonic the Hedgehog socks. “I have had these UGGs for almost two years. They have been with me through rain and snow, ups and downs. I have fostered somewhat of an emotional connection with my UGGs,” said Armah. “They have seen me through everything.”
Photo courtesy of Zoe Ferlazzo

UGG boots have sparked a heated debate over authenticity and value. As the Australian UGG Since 1974 seeks to distinguish its heritage for the American UGG brand, consumers have struggled with questions of quality, cultural identity, and the true worth of these iconic boots.
Unknown by some consumers, “UGG” is a generic term used to describe a sheepskin boot. Therefore, multiple companies have coined the term “UGG,” resulting in wide-spread speculation on who the real originator is. Recently, Australian brand UGG Since 1974 posted a TikTok in attempts to clear up any confusion between them and American brand UGG.
“If you have purchased your UGGs in the early 2000s in the USA, you have likely never owned a pair of our UGG Since 1974 boots…we do not have any affiliation with [the American brand] UGG, and we are two very separate brands,” said a representative of UGG Since 1974.
Created in Australia, UGG Since 1974 was originally designed to be used by surfers. As surfing is a massive component of Australian culture, UGGs were used by surfers frequently. Although the American brand UGG is not associated with UGG Since 1974, they do share similar qualities that buyers seem to be attracted to.
“I choose to wear [American] UGGs because they’re easy to slip on, and they fit in with every outfit,” said freshman Mia Francis.
UGG Since 1974 and UGG (American) have taken different approaches in production. UGG Since 1974 manufactures all of its products in Australian workshops along the Gold Coast, while American UGGs are manufactured in China under the apparel company Deckers Outdoor Corporation. Students see these differences reflected in the product.
“[American] UGGs reflect fast fashion because they are of terrible quality and are shipped directly from China. For the price they are, UGGs should be better quality and last longer,” said junior Iveth Flores. “I got a pair of UGGs for Christmas last year, and they are completely destroyed. I am a very cautious person, but my UGGs still manage to get water stained so easily.”
Although other students agree that the standard of American UGGs are very low, they decide to overlook the complaints and focus on the shoe’s benefits.
“[American] UGGs are nice shoes, but they’re not reliable because when it rains they can get ruined. So they’re definitely not everyday shoes if you live in a rainy climate,” said Francis. “In some aspects, UGGs are worth it because of how often I wear them, but I think they can be a little too pricey because they are just slippers.”
Because UGG Since 1974 is not available in the United States, most students have not been exposed to them, nor are they able to recognize the differences between the two brands. Despite this, many international customers of the brand have positively commented on the quality.
“Everything about the slipper is amazing! They absolutely cannot even be compared to the American ‘UGG.’ The quality is really top notch and worth the wait. You can tell they handcraft each pair,” said Andre Tardio, a reviewer listed on the UGG Since 1974 website.
UGGs have been a large part of Australian culture for decades, and have now transcended into American culture.
“I think that the American brand UGG diminishes the Australian brand since fast fashion is very prominent in America. We tend to overlook companies that did it first, like UGG Since 1974 where the quality is better, so it is a rip-off overall,” said junior Charlene Pumphrey.
So, with the ongoing debate on whether American UGGs are fairly priced or not, many students appreciate the originality of UGG Since 1974, while also still supporting the American brand.