New AP fees irk Spartans

Students who signed up for three, four, or five AP classes this year face the unpleasant surprise of a $75 fee for each AP exam.

Previously, the school system had completely covered the costs of taking an AP exam, which could amount to hundreds of dollars per student. Now, FCPS only covers the cost beyond $75 (College Board is charging up to $89 per exam this year), transferring the bulk of the cost to AP students and their families.

“I feel the school should still pay for them,” said senior Kristine Krieger. “Some people don’t have the money for it.”

It is not uncommon for sophomores, juniors, and seniors to take up to five AP classes a year. For seniors encountering senior dues and the ever-expensive parking spots, and anyone paying the new sports dues, the AP exam fees pose another new and expensive addition to the cost of school.

Since students on free and reduced lunch are exempt from the new policy, taking an AP class is not completely impossible for families with financial need. The new price tag, however, has the potential of making AP classes less appealing.

Fortunately, enrollment in AP classes has not dropped noticeably, according to Principal Paul Wardinski. Most people are able to meet the new cost, and still find taking the AP exam worthwhile, since passing the exam has its advantages.

“It better prepares you for when you go to college,” said Krieger.

Financially, taking the AP exam is still a bargain, even with the $75 fee—provided you pass. Getting a 3, 4, or 5 on the exam can make you eligible to be placed out of a college class, saving thousands of dollars.

The fee necessitates a more dedicated commitment to passing the exam, which may even be a good thing.

“It makes sense because a lot of people take AP classes without anticipating how hard they will be,” said junior Annie Sneed. “It makes it so they can’t just back out if they get frustrated.”

Maybe this budget cut, instead of dissuading people from taking challenging courses, might make students more focused and dedicated in the classroom.

In the end, while nobody is excited about the fee, most people think taking the AP exam is still a good choice.

“If I want to get credit, it is necessary,” said senior Kazumi Ashton-Hughes.