College decisions impacted by campus visits

“It helped to see a friend on the tour because knowing her in high school reassured me that everything would work out for college,” said junior Abby Van Zandt, who toured the University of Virginia over Spring break.
Photo courtesy of Abby Van Zandt

College tours, an important part of the college decision process, have the powerful ability to sway students’ impressions of the schools they visit, as they gauge whether the school will be a good fit for them based on a number of factors relating to student life and atmosphere.
According to a recent poll from The Oracle, roughly 74% of students have toured a college. Of this percentage, 90% believe that campus visits are important to the college decision process.
“[Visiting a college] is an awesome thing for students to do.” said counselor Elizabeth Wahl. “I want to acknowledge that there are barriers to going and seeing college campuses. That being said, if you have the means, time, and ability to do it, I would 100% recommend going and seeing the campus.”
Campus visits can be an important part of a student’s college decision, as they often speak to the living atmosphere the school creates.
“I think campus tours really gave me a vibe for a school, so it was just really great for deciding on schools to apply to,” said senior Eleanor Heinbaugh, who plans to attend William and Mary in the fall. “Some schools I toured helped me to decide not to apply there as well.”
According to Wahl, it is best to plan a college visit for a time where student life is present.
“I think if you can go during the week and see an actual class or see the campus with students on it, it will give you a better idea, but any visit is better than none,” said Wahl.
Since the Covid-19 Pandemic, the concept of virtually visiting colleges has become a wider option.
“I think for families who are pressed financially, we do have the benefit of technology,” said college and career specialist Jeff Toomer. “[A virtual visit] is plan B. Plan A is always putting your feet on the ground and going to the campus.”
Demonstrated interest, the degree of interaction between applicants and schools in which they are interested, can sometimes come into play with campus visits.
“I don’t know if [visiting a school] is going to be that much of an advantage [in the admissions process],” said Toomer. “If the school specifically says they somehow add to the score of your file with demonstrated interest, then let them know you’re there. Otherwise, I don’t think it matters.”
Aside from this, college tours have the power to sway a student’s opinion of a school they had planned to apply to. Wahl recalls a specific case.
“I just had a student who was thinking about going to Virginia Tech, so they went down there, and I think people don’t realize how isolated Virginia Tech is,” said Wahl. “Sometimes I find with students it’s a hard transition from northern Virginia to that kind of rural area.”
However, college tours can also be a great way for underclassmen to explore their options and learn more about the admissions process.
“The whole experience felt very welcoming. I also got all my questions answered about the college experience and what I need to do to get accepted,” said sophomore Izzy Sevilla, who visited the University of Mary Washington over spring break. “I also wasn’t expecting it to make me more excited for my college years to come.”