New budget reality: ‘Pay to play’ could be with us to stay

Spartan athletes may have to dig deep in their pockets—a whopping $100, non-refundable price tag has been placed on every athlete, whether they play at the freshman, JV or Varsity level.

“You know you’re going to have to pay,” said freshmen Cameron Woods. “Just look at our school.” Woods is playing football this fall, one of the many who willingly fork over the cash.

Money is no object because “you love the game,” said junior Riley Anderson, also a football player. For most athletes, nothing can keep them from doing what they love.

“Sure, kids will use it as an excuse,” said senior James King. “But not run, especially cross country?  No way.”

Athletes with more serious financial issues will be exempt from the payment, so long as they are applicable for the reduced-meal program or federal free. Also, the fee will be charged after the roster is posted. Those who are out with injury, however, will have to suffer the “non-refundable” rule.

“It’s unfair. If you get hurt, not only is your whole season ruined but you paid $100,” said sophomore Lindsey Mares. But the process of returning all the money would be unfeasible.

“It would be a nightmare,” said Betsey Fawsett, cheerleading coach and assistant director of student activities.

With other economic strains such as the boosted senior parking pass price and the AP exam fee, this year will be very expensive for smart, athletic seniors.

Fawsett pointed out that the “pay to play” plan was not the administration’s idea.

“It’s through the County,” said Fawsett. The money goes directly to FCPS and all VHSL sports.

“In a perfect world, of course, I don’t want families to have to pay,” said Fawsett. “But unfortunately, we did not get a say in this.”

The added costs do not affect the students so much as their parents.

“It’s not fair to parents,” said Mares. “They already have to pay for spirit wear and it all adds up.”

This year will be especially hard for those who play year-round. Include $60 worth of spirit wear per season, tack on $100-$300 for equipment. Now add a $300 year-round fee, and you have one expensive athlete.

“It is a privilege to play, but a right to play for free,” said junior Cody Jarret.