Economy changes travelers’ outlooks

Whether it’s the desired holiday gifts or competitive sports, the weak economy has gotten to us all.

This year’s holiday season may be slightly different than previous years’, regarding the poor economy. Many families will be unable to attend their annual gatherings with friends and family, or travel to their normal vacation spots. Because of the low economy, long travels to visit relatives will be slightly more uncommon than before.

“My family is going to my aunt’s house this year, and we used to go to my grandparents’ house, but they’re too far,” said freshman Lindsay Berhards.

Many families have not only insufficient funds for big trips, but also for holiday gifts. The economy has severely affected the value of the presents given and received around the holidays, because many people find it difficult to afford the latest trends.

“Things have gone up in price, so it has changed what I’m asking for,” said freshman Laura Wolinsky.

The desired iPhone 4 or Xbox may require more than just a general plead on a Christmas list, but rather much-needed savings to pay for the pricey items.

Besides the high costs of items on wish lists, several teams are experiencing troubles with obtaining the proper finances to attend tournaments held over the holidays. Some teams are choosing to partake in less expensive tournaments, while others are not participating at all. While settling with a cheaper tournament may help financially, there are cons to avoiding the pricier tournaments. In many cases, the larger, more costly tournaments provide more opportunity. More college scouts attend the larger tournaments, providing insight to the talent of the players.

“There are advantages at more expensive tournaments, but some people can’t afford them,” said sophomore Devan Warden.

The economy could take a toll on not only the holiday aspect of the season, but also the sports aspect. Many talented athletes, who can’t attain enough money to pay for the expenses of higher tournaments, are deprived of great opportunities for colleges and professionals to scout them.

While many teams have decided not to participate in their normal tournaments, others are determined to attend their annual games. Even though it hasn’t come easy in the rough economy, a few teams are choosing to work towards acquiring the proper funds in order to participate in the larger tournaments.

“We’re playing at the Disney Showcase tournament in Florida,” said junior Jannik Eckenrode. “We’ve had to do some extra fundraising activities and programs to help finance all of our trips.”