Trip takes students to a whole new world

Bathing suits in January?

While Fairfax County was buried under several inches of snow, freezing temperatures, and power outages, seven AP Spanish and Spanish 5 students were relaxing on the paradise-like beaches of Puerto Rico.

“I really liked the beach; it was pretty, the water was warm, and Andrea [Suarez] and I had a ‘photoshoot,’” said senior Lisa Eichhorn.

Students from the most advanced Spanish classes go to Puerto Rico every year to learn about other Hispanic cultures, practice the Spanish language, and have fun.

This year, seven students decided to go on the trip, accompanied by their three Spanish teachers.

“We went to museums and historical places, tried their food, and bought stuff,” said sophomore Jessica Rodriguez. “We got to see a whole new culture.”

The group toured San Juan to shop and take photos of the stunning architecture. They also got to practice their language—which was ostensibly the educational purpose of the trip. Most of the natives of Puerto Rico spoke only Spanish, so the students had to use their skills in understanding and speaking the language to get around and help others.

“We got to translate to other tourists,” said Rodriguez.

Puerto Rico is a United States territory in the Caribbean, and a popular tourist location, and not just because of its average temperature of 82 degrees Fahrenheit.

It is also known for its wide variety of plants and animals, including many endangered species. But most of all, Puerto Rico is especially known for its vibrant culture and customs.

“The people are less in a hurry, and entire families will hang out in the squares until late in the night,” said Eichhorn. They always want to do things together.”

For senior Andrea Suarez, this was her fourth visit to the archipelago. She has family in Puerto Rico, and encountered some of her relatives during the trip.

“I ran into a couple of them just walking around,” said Suarez.

Of course, the group did not forget to relax. While the weather in Springfield left locals out in the cold, those on the trip spent plenty of time swimming in small coves, walking through quiet forests, and hanging out at the beach.

“I loved it. And I was so happy that it happened during the winter snowstorm,” said Suarez.