Uh-oh, the sky is falling!Dead animals cause masses to fret about environment

Dead birds falling from the sky, dead fish popping up in the Chesapeake Bay and also somewhere in Sweden–supposedly all signs that our world is ending, and sooner than we thought.

According to Fox News, 5,000 birds dropped dead from the sky in Arkansas on New Year’s Eve. Authorities have ruled the cause of death to simply blunt force trauma caused possibly by exploding fireworks in the nighttime sky, eliminating all other possibilities. As for the dead fish, the cause still remains unclear. This does not change, however, the ongoing theory that the world, as we know it, is coming to an end.

“For all we know, these could be signs. We just can’t be for sure,” said junior Michaela Mishoe.

These recent events have gotten a lot of people thinking about the upcoming apocalypse. A Web page devoted to all kinds of end of-the-world theories, End of the World 2012 Predictions, points out that the Mayan calendar predicted that our world will end on December 21, 2012 and that this doomsday is actually very possible.

Mishoe can see this possibility too. Just because our species is extremely powerful and superior, does not mean that it cannot be destroyed.

“People are ignorant, thinking that there’s no way our world could be wiped out, but honestly, we won’t know until that day,” said Mishoe.

Others say that these freak accidents occurring around the world are no indication of an impending apocalypse, but rather just coincidences that have been blown out of proportion.

“Maybe it is more nature wreaking havoc than anything else,” said Biology teacher Jennifer Owens.

As for the possible end of the world, students here seem to be very assured that it is not happening anytime soon, believing, rather, that the world will end in billions of years, when the sun supposedly consumes the Earth.

“There has been a lot times that people said the world was going to end, but it hasn’t yet,” freshman freshman Jamie Schmauder.

Schmauder believes that Y2K never actually occurred, even though people feared that in the year 2000, all of the computer systems would crash as a result of a new type of software.

Owens said the media has created a lot of speculation throughout the country, fueling the emotions of the American people. These events have created great speculation for a lot of people, when in reality it was just another one of Mother Nature’s acts.

“People freak out just because they like to freak out,” said Owens.