Leslie Sherman remembered

Four years ago, beloved Spartan Leslie Sherman’s life was deliberately and prematurely ended in the Virginia Tech shooting.

Now, four years later, the WS community reflects on her wonderful presence and beams over the beautiful track that was dedicated to her memory.

Although the track serves as a constant testament to her remarkable yet tragically brief life, teachers still feel twinges of sadness when they recall the tragedy.

Physics teacher Ed Linz, who had Sherman as a student for two years, keeps a newspaper cut-out taped to the desk where she sat.

“That’s her seat and always will be,” said Linz. “She embodied the best qualities of a good high school student.”

Sherman’s presence is not only missed in the classroom. She was an energetic and passionate athlete who participated wholeheartedly on the track team.

Sherman was an extremely hard worker who brought a positive attitude to everything she did, both athletically and academically.

“She was passionate about her school work and the sports she participated in,” said Sherman’s former Cross Country coach, Duke Baird. “You could tell she gave 100 percent, 100 percent of the time.”

Though Sherman’s life tragically ended, she will live on in the hearts and minds of the WS community for many years to come.

The gorgeous track, which was constructed last year, was dedicated in her honor.  Students and teachers alike who run on the track are constantly reminded of her wonderful example.

“Not only did [Sherman] run track, but she also gave it all in the race of life, and thus it serves as both a physical and metaphorical  reminder and presence of who Leslie was and how she chose to live her life,” said history teacher Jim Percoco.

The track represents the sport that Sherman loved and the values that she carried with her throughout her life. As runners tirelessly tread across her name, printed in bold letters on the track’s surface, they will be challenged to bring the resolute determination that Sherman possessed into their own lives.

“In this way, each generation of Spartans will be able to learn from her example, which is exemplary reflecting a life well lived,” said Percoco.