Percoco enters Teachers’ Hall of Fame

Just before Spring Break, a great honor was bestowed on history teacher Jim Percoco. He was named to the National Teachers’ Hall of Fame, only the fifth teacher from Virginia to receive such an honor.

Each year, five teachers are selected out of many other nominated candidates by a national selection committee. As a 31-year veteran of teaching, many people felt that Percoco more than deserved the honor.

“Students who have had James Percoco as their American History teacher leave his classroom with a deeper and more genuine understanding of what made the United States of America great, and what it will take to keep it that way,” said Principal Paul Wardinski.

Both colleagues and students share a reverence for Percoco and look to him for inspiration. Through his extensive historical knowledge and unique teaching methods, he has been able to reach out and change people’s lives.

“He really inspired me to be creative. He has a sense of vision about history and he makes it interesting in his own unique way,” said fellow history teacher Ron Maggiano.

His creativity comes through in his United States History classes, but Applied History is where he gets to share his love of his two favorite presidents, George Washington and Abraham Lincoln. By focusing on the leadership of these two men, Percoco created an enthralling and totally unique class.

“I am inspired by a deeply-seeded call to serve other people and serve others creatively,” said Percoco.

The Applied History curriculum and his book Summers with Lincoln are just some of the accomplishments that reflect Percoco’s love of history. By expanding his fascination beyond the classroom, Percoco was able to make himself known in the historical community.

“We never hear about the excellent teachers,” said Maggiano. “We only hear about the bad ones. So something like this, that public, and celebrates excellence is great. It’s great for the school and great for the teaching profession.”

Being able to make history intriguing is no easy feat. Just like other subjects, students do not always find it interesting. Percoco looks beyond the PowerPoints and notes to make his class interesting and history appeal to everyone.

“He really know how to make history come alive. It’s not just a bunch of boring facts with him,” said senior Vicki Knabe.

One of the things that make Percoco such a special teacher is his enthusiasm for knowledge and his attentiveness to his school and his students.

“Students love him for his passion for his subject, his commitment to teaching, his concern for them as individuals, and his willingness to listen to them and to address them as young adults,” said Wardinski.