Student firefighters to the rescue

Some Spartans are burning with passion for firefighting.

Every day, these students are one step closer to becoming professional fire fighters through their Fire and Emergency Medical Science (EMS) academy class. The course allows the students to perform hands-on work in order to strengthen their knowledge of emergency care and medicine.

Not only do the students adore the program, but they also love the instructor, Penny Kelly, who was named the “Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Pre-Hospital Educator of the Year.”

“It’s honestly the best course I could have taken,” said junior Diego Carpio. “Also, [Kelly is] the best teacher I have ever had.”

“Ride alongs” with certain departments allow the students to interact with the medic trucks and real life scenarios at the fire station. This gives them a better insight to the realities of the Fire and EMS service, as opposed to performing simulations of potential situations.

“It was exhilarating to be out on the streets helping people we don’t even know in their most desperate time of need,” said senior Lauren Bullard.

Like any class, the Fire and EMS academy class requires perseverance and dedication in order to be successful. Every Friday, however, they are required to perform physical training which includes running on the track and bleachers with equipment, or lifting weights.

“The best part of the class is all the hard work I put into it,” said junior Berlyne Pena. “It really pays off since Fire and Rescue is something I really have a passion for.”

At the end of the year, the students receive seven certifications and they are permitted to take the state EMT exam in order to become a certified EMT. Each student participating in the class has a personalized story of how they became involved with the program, and each one ends with the passion for Fire and EMS and plans for continuing it in the future.

The class not only brings out their passion for Fire and EMS, but also a passion for serving the community.

“I enjoy helping others and I believe doing the greatest amount of good for the greatest amount of people is a reward in itself,” said Pena.

The students involved with the fire and EMS program can be seen wearing their uniforms around school every Wednesday. While the outfits usually draw much attention and can be a hassle, the students enjoy displaying their passion for Fire and Rescue and answering questions posed to them.

“I love wearing my uniform out in public,” said Bullard “It is an extremely proud feeling to be a part of the men and women in today’s Fire and EMS service.”