Oracle writes its way to the top

Dance Team, move aside: Our student newspaper staff has won state competition two years in a row.
Because The Oracle sometimes slips under the radar, Oracleites think the recognition is justified.
“I’m glad we won because it really shows that we work hard here, even though sometimes The Oracle can be forgotten,” said one of The Oracle’s current editors, senior Sam Perlstein, who was a managing editor last year.
Senior Erin Falk, Scoop section editor, feels the same way.
“I’m very proud of the staff and really appreciate that all of our hard work is being recognized,” said Falk.
Winning the VHSL’s Trophy Class isn’t new to The Oracle staff or to the Journalism Program, which has captured States nine times since 1996. The student newspaper staff intends to keep that tradition going.
“My goal is to keep our momentum and stay motivated to hopefully win another championship,” said Falk.
Working diligently in a classroom covered in awards has obviously influenced the Oracleites, who are very like-minded, because the entire staff holds the same goal: to keep winning.
“My goal is to win again and cover the walls with even more awards,” said another editor, senior Maria Scaptura.
The Oracle was divided into two classes last year, but this year meets in a single class of 41 students. It seems to be the general consensus that this will assist the staff in going for the gold again.
“I think being in one class will give us a better chance of winning because it is much easier to communicate when everyone is together, which will improve the organization of the paper,” said Falk.
Once again the members of the staff are on the same page.

“I like one class more than two because it’s more personal and like a [happy] family instead of a divorced family,” said Scaptura.

Despite having been a “divorced family” last year, Brooke Nelson, the journalism teacher was especially pleased with the staff’s work.

“I’m tickled about it, but I know we’re number one no matter what we win,” said Nelson.

The staff couldn’t have done it without a supportive administration.

“I want to thank the administration for allowing us to have a free press. Without the support of the administration and the first amendment, the journalism program wouldn’t be as strong as it is,” said Nelson.

With the administration by our side, the pressure is on. The Oracle has to keep winning.

“I’ve only ever known an award-winning paper. Every year I’ve been at WS The Oracle has won,” said Perlstein.