Crossing paths with the new crossing guard

Marie Laverdiere, Buisiness Editor

With the arrival of a new school year came the arrival of a new crossing guard.
WS’s beloved crossing guard, Leanor Goral, resigned during the summer after 19 years of helping students get to school safely. Goral was loved by all and did a great job helping the students cross safely.
“When she left, honestly, I think a lot of the staff here was worried because she was such a good crossing guard,” said Safety and Security Specialist Mike Ukele.
Students and staff all loved Goral, she had a positive attitude and phenomenal work ethic; there was never a traffic backup while she was on duty. Goral had the ability to make everyone feel special and that resonated with the students.
“Ms. Goral was really nice,” said junior Joe Gumpf, “Every morning she would say ‘hi’ to us. She’d walk with us to the sidewalk sometimes and have a conversation with us. She was very kid-friendly.”
There is no doubt that Goral had an impact on students at WS, she was a stellar act. Although Goral has left big shoes to fill, WS’s new crossing guard Leslie Bazemore is ready to step up to the curb.
“I do know Ms. Goral, but not very well,” said Bazemore, “I do know she loved her position at WS and she did a great job when she was here. I hope I can do as great of a job as she did.”
Prior to her arrival at WS, Bazemore crossed students in Loudoun County for 10 years, and has spent 10 years crossing students at Fairfax County schools, including Irving Middle school. Bazemore and Goral were both directed from the West Springfield Police Station on Rolling Road.
“I became a crossing guard because I wanted to serve the public and be able to help and ensure the safety of our children and community,” said Bazemore.
It has only been a few weeks, but students can be sure that Bazemore will be talking and getting to know them more as the year progresses. Bazemore’s love of the job can be seen by the way she deals with all types of tribulations to make sure the students get to school safely.
“The hardest part about being a crossing guard is a couple of things,” said Bazemore, “Dodging vehicles and the cold weather, but the biggest thing is getting to know the students like your own children and then they move away. I cry every time.”