Breast cancer awareness month

Varsity+volleyball+plays+their+annual+Dig+Pink+game.+

Photo courtesy of Abby Strong

Varsity volleyball plays their annual Dig Pink game.

Abby Strong, Oracle Online Editor

During October, pink covers the halls of WS for breast cancer awareness month. The school takes part in breast cancer awareness through organizing “pink” games in all fall sports to raise awareness of breast cancer.
The WS volleyball team contributes to breast cancer awareness through the Dig Pink volleyball game every October. Prior to the game, the team puts in considerable effort to find activities for fundraising and bring attention to the game.
“[The team] made posters, and setting up the gym was a task, but it was worth it,” said junior Varsity volleyball player Maggie Neumeyer.
Each year, volleyball players and their parents get involved with fundraising for breast cancer research. This year, senior Varsity volleyball player Sara Khatouri and her mother reached out to different companies to contribute prizes for the raffle. Other players also baked goods to sell at the game.
“The program ended up raising $2,002, and all the proceeds went to the Side-Out Foundation, which is a volleyball organization that uses donated money for breast cancer research,” said Khatouri.
Sports are one way to get students and school staff into the “pink” spirit. Students also appreciate the work their fellow classmates put into spreading awareness.
“I like seeing the student body come together with the purpose of supporting an important cause,” said senior Dania Abu.
The sports leadership class helps to spread breast cancer awareness through selling shirts which students can wear to any pink games or just to support breast cancer awareness.
“The classes made and sold the pink t-shirts for the South County football game to support breast cancer awareness,” said freshman Jackie Kerner.
From pinning ribbons on their backpacks or wearing pink from head to toe, students can inspire each other to spread awareness. Each person’s contribution to spreading awareness is recognized by their fellow classmates and leaves an impression.
“My classmates inspire me to also show my support and to show the importance of breast cancer awareness,” said junior Michelle Phu.
All people have a different experience with breast cancer whether or not they know someone who has been affected by it.WS students know to respect their peers, no matter their circumstances, and it is reflected on the entire student body.
“I think [breast cancer awareness month] provides hope to cancer patients and to students that have moms with breast cancer. It shows our support for them,” said freshman Emma Riney.