Remembering Leslie Sherman

Photo courtesy of Caroline Wittich

The WS track was dedicated to alumni Leslie Sherman after the Virginia Tech shooting in 2007.

Caroline Wittich, Oracle Editor

Leslie Sherman – a golden name and inspiring role model to Spartans, especially those on the track team.
The Leslie Sherman Track Meet is hosted every year by West Springfield’s track program and it commemorates the tragic loss of WS alumna, Leslie Sherman, who has been described in past Oracle’s as “a bold and strong individual with just the right amount of sweet and sassy.”
Leslie Sherman’s life was tragically taken in the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting, where 32 people were killed on campus by a senior English major at Virginia Tech. Because of this horrific loss felt by her family, friends, and the Springfield community, the Leslie Sherman Award was created.
This spring track season, senior Ashley Holt was given the honor of receiving the Leslie Sherman Award. The runner and student from Marshall High School has faced setbacks throughout her high school career; she won the award due to her perseverance and character through the tough times.
To win the award, it is expected that you have to reach certain academic and athletic standards and also have a demeanor which is supportive and encouraging towards others. All of these were qualities Sherman had and Holt is overflowing with.
Sherman’s love for history brought out her fascination with academics and also connected her to students and teachers, while her pure kindness towards others came straight from her heart and seemed as if it had no bounds.
“I received an email from Leslie a day before the [VT] shooting.  She updated me about what was going on in her life but mainly asked about me and commented on things that were going on in my life,” said Maggie Tran, former WS history teacher of Leslie Sherman. “That is the kind of person she was.  She always put others before herself. She was humble and never demanded or wanted attention on her.”
Leslie’s passion for life inspired many in the community as she volunteered for countless hours, not just to satisfy getting her NHS cords, but because she simply loved to serve others.
Former WS history teacher James Percoco had nothing but great things to say about Sherman. In the Oracle’s ten year anniversary article about the Virginia Tech’s shooting he noted that he still carries her memory with him every day.
“She was just great, a wonderful human being,” said Percoco.