German exchange students come to WS

As part of Halloween festivities, students played ‘wrap the mummy,” in which participants wrap a volunteer in toilet paper. Uniquely American activities such as making s’mores and cornhole were also enjoyed before the night ended with a round of trick-or-treating.
Photo courtesy of Lois Collins

After a three year hiatus due to the COVID-19 pandemic, German students returned for a two-week stay with WS host families as part of the school’s annual German exchange program.
The students from Nuremberg stayed with the families of students in the German language program from late October to mid-November before going to New York City for three days. While in Virginia, they attended school, went sightseeing in Washington D.C., and spent time with host families.
“It’s always fun to have a guest in the house,” said parent Harriet Cohen, who hosted Almut Müller. “Our student has never been to the United States before, so we really enjoyed introducing her to all things American, like pumpkin carving, Halloween, and some serious junk food.”
While at school, the students got a glimpse of the American high school experience by shadowing their host sibling throughout their classes.

Senior Christina Nies, sophomore Holly Collins, and exchange students Elena Gotschke and Emma Böhlmann attended a Halloween party hosted by parents Lois and James Collins. (Photo courtesy of Lois Collins)

“My exchange student took a day or two to get used to the time zone and school schedule, but besides that, he’s been fitting in very well not only with our family’s routine but also with my friends and the people in my classes,” said senior Zachary Masaitis, who hosted Ben Kazić.
In addition to the excitement experienced by exchange students, host families also found the program to be an invigorating change of pace.
“We get so bogged down with our day-to-day routine, we sometimes forget about all the good stuff that is around us,” said parent Ray Lattanzio, who hosted Lea Dawit. “Having a guest to show around actually makes you get out of the house and out of your routine.”
Coordinating the program entails rigorous planning and preparation every year before the arrival of the students. German teacher Katharina Fuerst has been the main organizer of the trip since 2017.

“My favorite thing about being a host student is probably swapping stories with my exchange student about what we do in our daily lives. Since our worlds are so different, it has been really cool learning about this other person that traveled halfway across the world to visit our country and see how it compares to life in Germany.”

— Senior Zachary Masaitis

“It takes a lot of steps to get ready for the exchange,” said Fuerst. “The hardest part is the security check of all the host parents and getting them ready. Sometimes parents get extra scrutiny by the FBI [if they have the same name as a criminal] until they get cleared. Each year, we have several parents who get cleared only a few days before the guests arrive, which is very nerve-wracking.”
The program continues over the summer when American students go to Nuremberg for a similar two-week stay with the families of the students they hosted. They attend the school of their host siblings, Neues Gymnasium Nürnberg, and explore the city.
“My favorite part is taking the American students to Germany. It is so interesting to watch them explore a new world,” said Fuerst.

“We have enjoyed getting to know our students and sharing ways that America and Germany are different. It was really great to watch [our host student] get comfortable with being in our home and connecting with my daughter. We have absolutely loved all of the laughter that has been in our house.”

— Host parent Lois Collins

Due to the exchange’s international and diplomatic character, many students leave the program with new aspirations for life beyond high school.
“Here in our community I see our graduates move on to study abroad and later to high-profile jobs, maybe working at the Pentagon or the State Department,” said Fuerst. “That might have started for them with the exchange, which opened a window of possibilities and ideas.”
Fuerst attributes the program to not only opening up new horizons for participants, but also for establishing friendships that bypass borders and thousands of miles of distance.
“It is wonderful to see how many international friendships are forged in each exchange,” said Fuerst. “Sometimes lifelong friendships evolve and the exchange partners keep visiting each other later as grown-ups. They even come back and bring their families. So it really is a program that builds international connections.”
While the trip has since come to its conclusion, a new group of students will arrive at WS next fall. The program will be reannounced for anyone interested in hosting a student by the German department in the spring.
Pullquote Photo

What has been your favorite thing about the United States so far?

“Everyone’s so friendly. In Germany, no one is friendly like that.”

— Emma Böhlmann

Pullquote Photo

What do you wish the United States had that Germany has?

“When you recycle bottles in Germany you can go to the supermarket and return them and get money.”

— Tsedenya Fasil

Pullquote Photo

Have you had any culture shocks?

“School here is very different from Germany because it seems like the students come and go when they want [during class].”

— Elena Gotschke