Students vs staff tradition: what’s behind the hoops?

The Staff vs. Students Basketball Game, hosted on Feb. 26, has been an ongoing tradition for the WS community.
Beginning around 2012, and constantly gaining more attention throughout past years, it has always been an event that draws equal participation from staff and students, which differs from regular activities that are primarily for students.
“I think this is an event that people really look forward to. We’ve had about 300+ people turn out to watch each year,” said John Alukonis, one of the Leadership sponsors. “I’ve noticed how excited students get to see their teachers in a different light such as this.”
Alukonis explained the event is especially important because it was one of the few traditions that “survived” COVID. It didn’t occur during the COVID outbreak, but the tradition carried on as soon as activities were allowed to be held again.
“My freshman year was online, but I’ve been excited for every build up to the game. Keeping tradition like this, and being able to see the WS community partake, happily, is genuinely enjoyable to me,” said senior Elizabeth Collins.
Students consistently show their excitement leading up to the game day, seeing their teachers in a different light. Since this is also an event outside of the school day, there’s a ton of participation, in regards to both playing and coming to watch.
“At first I thought it’d be another overrated school-related event that nobody goes to, but being there was a lot more exciting than you’d think,” said freshman Maddox Sy.
This year’s game resulted in a win for the student team after a two-year losing streak.