A Spartan dynasty: cross country, track and field

Both the boys and girls teams got second place at the state competition. The boys to Western Branch high school, and the girls to South Lakes high school.
Photo courtesy of Chris Pellegrini

Over the last five years, WS’s track and field and cross country programs have experienced success unmatched by any other sport at the school. Led by alumni and coach Chris Pellegrini, the team has won multiple state titles. Not only have they won at the state level, but have also experienced massive success at the district and regional level. Just recently, the boys track and field team secured their three-peat district and Regional Indoor Championships. The girls also won both district and regional titles. Both teams achieved second at Indoor States this year.
Tragedy struck in the boys 4x200m final, when the team got DQed after running the third fastest time at the meet. It is uncommon for public schools to make it to the final, much less place third. They were DQed due to contact with another runner.
The team recently competed at the national competition. Records were set in the boys and girls 4x400m, the boys 4x200m, and the boys 55m shuttle hurdle relay. The boys shuttle hurdle relay was the first in school history. They ran the fourth fastest time at the meet, and the fifth fastest in the entire country.

Pullquote Photo

“I thought both teams fought as hard as they could. While not perfect, both teams did a great job.”

— Chris Pellegrini, coach

“I think our greatest achievement this season was showing how deep and well-rounded both teams are. We were the only team in 6A to place in the top three at States in both genders.”

— Chris Pellegrini, coach

“For the girls, I think they are just now seeing that they can compete as a team on the highest level. It’s not just a cloudy goal, but instead a real possibility. For the boys, they surprised everyone by winning last year. This year, everyone was watching them, and they still performed very well.”

— Chris Pellegrini, coach

Juniors AC Ross (left) and Mark-Anthony Whyte (right) are teammates, competitors, and friends. The duo runs many of the same events, such as the 55m, 100, and 200m. The two have both broken previous, their own, and eachothers school records. Currently Whyte holds the records for the 55m and 100m, however Ross runs almost identical times.
Pullquote Photo

“At States, I ran the 55-meter dash, the 4×200 meter relay and the 4×400 meter relay. I got into track from playing football, and I pretty much just carried on with it. My experience at States was really good. I was named all-state in every event I ran even though we weren’t able to win, it was still a lot of fun. One of my goals for next season is to be a state champion in at least one event.”

— AC Ross, junior

Pullquote Photo

“I ran track to get faster for football, and I ended up being pretty good. In the 55 meter dash, I was able to make the state finals and get eighth place and score points for our team. In the 4x200m relay, I ran the first leg and we came second overall in the state, which was huge. I plan to break the school record again in the 55 meter and the 4×200.”

— Mark-Anthony Whyte

Junior Siera Sommers poses next to her first place mark of 44’11.5. The junior is among the best throwers in the nation. Her and senior teammate Brady Echols combine to be one of the most formiddable shotput duos in the state. Echols placed third at states, and is ranked second in the state.
Pullquote Photo

“I initially joined track to prepare for lacrosse season in the spring, so I was sprinting for a bit. Then, I saw some big dudes by the bleachers grunting and throwing something, and I thought it looked fun. I went over there to try it out and it’s what I’ve been doing since. Overall, [States] was a very consistent meet. Almost every throw I had was over 40 feet, which was what I wanted at the least out of myself. Unfortunately, I couldn’t get the 43 to 44 foot throw I was hoping for, but I managed to stay calm and get a good enough throw out to win it. Within the next season, I want to throw 46 feet, which is a little more than a foot from my personal record, but senior year, I want at least 50 feet. As for college, I’m hoping to get a scholarship and throw the whole time.”

— Sierra Sommers, junior

Pullquote Photo

Senior distance runner Aidan MacGrath is one of the best on the team, and is commited to Virginia Tech. “My goals for outdoor are to win the two mile at states as well as winning the team state title, because I know I’m the best girl in the field when I’m a hundred percent fresh,” said MacGrath.

Pullquote Photo

Senior high-jumper Paris Johnson was scored the highest jumper in Virginia 6A, the league in which WS competes. He placed first at the state meet, scoring the team ten points. He was the highest individual contributor to the team’s score. He jumped a season best of 6 ‘6, and tied his overall highest height. During the outdoor season, he hopes to be able to break the school record of 7’. He first got into track by joining the cross country team, which he was not very good at. However, he soon found his place at high-jump.“I have a ritual where I eat five bananas before I compete. I think this ritual has helped me secure a state championship,” said Johnson.

Both the boys and girls 4x200m relays broke the school record during the winter season.

(Left to right) long sprints coach Daniel
Breedlove, senior Kiki Richardson, junior Addison Auger, freshman Gwen VanThompson, sophmore Aja Day Thompson and sprints coach Katherine Charecky

(Left to right) Mark-Anthony Whyte, Nick Bailey, Max Englert and AC Ross