Spartan Guard takes the gold

They twirl and they whirl.

One of the lesser talked about and brought up teams of WS, the indoor guard, has shown of their talents and has made headlines for representing the Spartans in such a shining fashion.

The guard performed at a national competition on February 12 and exceeded every expectation that they had thought of by moving up in class for competition. Guard is not like many typical sport teams, clubs or activities, where there is a set amount of games or competitions against other schools. There are a certain number of events, and also there are National and World competitions where the best teams from all around compete.

“We did really well and got bumped up from class A-3 to A-2,” said math teacher and guard coach Karilee Schmitt. “Getting moved up was completely unexpected and the team was really excited and proud of what they had accomplished.”

In the world of guard your rank determines what level of competition you will be placed up against, and the guard was moved up in rank due to their stellar performance from A-3 to A-2.

There has definitely been something clicking within the realm of indoor guard, because in the last four years, they have moved up in class twice; a remarkable feat.

“When I was a freshmen we started out in Regional A class and then got moved up to A-3,” said senior and guard captain Julie Dunham.” This year, we did really well at a competition, and our scores were high enough to bump us up to A-2, and the funny thing was we didn’t even know it until we were getting on the bus to leave the competition.”

Oddly enough, the guard still has yet to receive the credibility it deserves. They have been constantly competing at a high level and somehow still manage to fly under the radar. Perhaps some of the grace and elegance that they show in their routines does pay off and makes them better as individuals and as a team.

It is safe to say that the guard has definitely proven their worth right alongside every sports team and club in the school, and shows great promise to do so for years to come.

“I am very pleased at how well we performed,” said Schmitt. “And hopefully we will do the same or better in the future to show everyone how hard we have worked.”