Passing down knowledge, juniors join mentoring program to help frosh

WS is now offering a mentor program that teaches freshman skills and techniques that will help them maximize their best learning style.

With the combined efforts from Guidance Counselor Alex Gorman and Career Center Specialist Hannah Hurlburt, the creation of this new program that will benefit many students. Even though no mentoring program was previously available, having one now will teach underclassmen learning study techniques and other important skills.

Not only does the program help kids manage their time, but it also gives them an encouraging study environment and improves their understanding of the material. This mentoring program is principally for freshman who have been recommended by teachers because they need extra help with learning class materials.

“About 90 freshmen have been recommended, as well as 65 tutors. This will provide support for our freshmen class and when seniors go off [to college], some wish they had better time management skills” said Hurlburt.

The tutoring program offers is help to students to develop their study skills. The main focuses are time management, memorization techniques and test taking strategies.

Each of these techniques will assist the students improving in their school work. The freshmen will be mentored by juniors, some of which are National Honor Society (NHS) students who, with the generous help of Government teacher and NHS sponsor John Thorson, have been allowed to use their time tutoring as service hours for the honor society.

“I feel that this will help improve grades and will help me to learn better writing skills,” said freshman Gabriela Quezada.

Juniors were chosen as the tutors because this year will be the pilot year. Next year, these same students will tutor underclassmen, and after tutoring positions will be passed down from year to year.

“I know that this will definitely benefit both the freshman and the juniors, both will learn how to work together and become better in school,” said junior Arianne Toussaint.

These skills are not only important for high school but also for when students graduate and go off to college. Upon graduation and their entrance to college, many students wish that they had spent more time learning these important study skills and techniques. Being intelligent is important, but learning how to budget time and study efficiently is the only way to really improve grades.

“[When I was] a freshman, I think it would have helped be a lot to have an older student help me” said junior Rebecca Lepper.  “I  feel that this is an important program not only to improve but also so you have someone to look up to.”