Should Trump keep using his personal Twitter?

The President uses Twitter to directly talk to the American people. Many of his tweets have been heavily criticized.

Vanity Fair

Vanity Fair

Michael Perlak, Entertainment Editor

In 2016, Donald Trump’s personal Twitter account, @realDonaldTrump, was instrumental in his journey to the White House, serving as a platform for him to share his opinions, promote rallies, and speak out against his opponents.
Trump wrote many controversial tweets, but he never backed down from his statements or tried to apologize when people found fault with them.

Now, Donald Trump is the president of the United States and has the President of the United States (@POTUS) Twitter account as well, for a total of over 40 million followers.
Just like in the election season, he will be under heavy scrutiny from both the Democratic and Republican Parties, the media, the American public, and the rest of the world as well. With the great influence wielded by his office, Trump should try to be straightforward in his tweeting, as it is one of the easiest ways to stay up-to-date with the president.

So far, Trump has continued his election-time tweeting habits. In an early February tweet, Trump referred to the United States Federal Judge James Robart of Washington state as a “so-called judge.” Additionally, Trump said that Robart’s decision to temporarily block the travel ban was ridiculous.

As guaranteed by the First Amendment of the Constitution, citizens of this country, including Trump, have the freedom of speech. By all means, Trump should let his views be known on Twitter, and he should not water down his statements with what many consider the poison of political correctness.
However, Trump should keep in mind that his tweets will affect the way people see him, especially the younger generations with more “progressive” views, and he will be unappealing to certain demographics if he says anything too extreme or controversial.
Trump has also been big on calling out mainstream media companies such as CNN on Twitter, deeming them “fake news” because of their supposed spins on current events and the way they sometimes blow stories out of proportion. This is a good way for Trump to use Twitter, as it gives him a way to respond to accusations or defend himself.
While it is an important part of the media’s job to serve as a watchdog for powerful political figures, this job should not be extended to promoting minor problems as enormous controversies and concocting unnecessary conspiracy theories and speculations.
Whatever the reactions of his critics are, Trump should keep using his personal Twitter account during his quest to Make America Great Again.

• Should Trump keep using his personal Twitter?

Top Stories

Just how clean is our water?

Keeping up with our classic construction problems

Global warming gears up

Snow Day—finally!

Spartans take home 1st- and 2nd-place wins in prestigious contest

Special needs community celebrates accomplishments; works for acceptance

All that Jazz amazes us all

Black History Month assembly

In memoriam: Paola Izaguirre