Forensics carries on tradition

Monologues, memorization, mastery.

The close-knit group of students on the Forensic team has learned these skills in an intense process that involves lots of practice. Through their hard work, they’ve earned a renowned reputation: Patriot District Champions. For the fifth year in a row, the Forensics team has taken the title.

“I’m proud of us for working hard, we do work hard. We practice twice a week,” said senior and captain Claire Thompson.

Thompson, who placed first in the Poetry Interpretation category at Districts, is just one of the many team members who competed at both competitions. She takes pride in the fact that Forensics isn’t an activity that students participate in every day.

“I like that I do something that’s more academically focused and that most teenagers wouldn’t appreciate,” said Thompson.

The rest of the team also realizes that their Forensics skills aren’t something that will fade out throughout high school or provide no contribution to future career prospects. Forensics improves students’ ability to speak proudly and have confidence while doing so.

Jessica Friedel, another senior Captain, also placed first in her category, Dramatic Interpretation.

“I’m glad we were able to keep our streak of winning alive,” said Friedel. “I’m glad we were able to live up to people’s expectations.”

After winning the District competition, the team moved on to Regionals on the February 23, where they took another important victory. Landing first place ratings at both competitions makes them the favorite to carry their winning streak into States.

“It’s been great to see how students grow in their time working in this activity,” said English teacher and Forensics coach Madeleine Deliee. “[My favorite part is] watching students realize how much they really can do, especially when they start off thinking that they can’t.”

The team has put a lot of effort into their performances, which in the recent competitions, has paid off.

At Districts, 19 team members placed, including 13 first place victories, six second place winners, and one third.

Next up on the road to success is the state competition later in March, where the team was victorious last year.

“This year, I want to be State Champions again,” said Thompson. “I fully believe the team we have this year can do it again.”