Spartan surveillance program in effect: Security officials and administration crack down on attendance, behavior policies

Skippers beware: Someone’s out to get you.

Security has heightened to the point where I feel like I am back in Irving, with Raymond Cruz, Irving’s security man, yelling at me to get to class. Honestly, it’s ridiculous.

When I first got to high school, I was stoked. I couldn’t wait to be free from the death grip that the administration at Irving had around all our prepubescent throats.

Then we all graduated into the promised land of high school, where people walked around without being stopped every five minutes, where if you had a senior friend they would be able to buy you food from McDonalds; for the right price, of course.

It has been this way since I was a freshman. Then all of a sudden, my senior year, the situation all gets flipped upside down. We are given planners that have to be attached to our hips if we want to walk anywhere outside of class. Security tightens, making it almost impossible for students to get off campus. Now, to top it all off the new attendance policies are downright goofy.

I understand that all these changes are for the “better,” but it seems like we are reverting back to the ways of the prison camp that was Irving.

For example, recently I got in trouble for not having my planner while getting a drink of water.

Normally, I wouldn’t care about being yelled at for such a miniscule thing, but what made me so upset was how close the classroom was to the fountain. I could literally have thrown a large hippopotamus from my class to where I was getting a drink.

Now I understand that we need to make sure the rules are enforced, but really? That seemed a bit uncalled for considering how close I was to my class.

All I am asking is that we tone the intensity down a bit. I have been led to believe that senior year is the be-all, end-all year of fun and extra privileges.

So please: Let us walk the halls without asking for our planners. Remember, this isn’t Irving.