Colleges announce decisions, seniors breathe sigh of relief

Acceptance or rejection.

As the college admission process winds down, the reality of high school coming to an end finally hits home.  For some, this is a relief. For others, it’s a realization similar to an unexpected backhand to the side of the face. 

Seniors can finally breathe a sigh of relief and reflect back on the entire college process.  It all started with the Saturday mornings filled with standardized tests, and now it comes to an end.

Seniors’ mailboxes bear the news with either a thin envelope that no one needs to open because they already know what it means or, in better cases, the much larger envelope that signifies that your hard work and above-average peripheral vision has finally paid off.

Did I say peripheral vision? What I meant to say was good study habits.

Anyway, my suggestion to universities and colleges sending acceptance letters is to completely omit the writing between the word “Congratulations” and the last sentence explaining how students are to “remain in good standing.”  No one ever reads the entire letter and in my opinion this would save not only a lot brain power but paper and ink as well; students are too busy fist pumping or jumping for joy to sit down and read the entire letter.

All I ask is that colleges would specify what it means to “remain in good standing,” simply because as a second-semester senior victimized by “senioritis,” I would like to know the bare minimum that I can do to still be able to attend the college I want.

The biggest problem for me in this entire college process is how colleges are now displaying their admissions decisions online.  After using all my brain power on writing essays and filling out applications, I always seem to forget my password to find out online and therefore I am forced to wait until my letter (most likely my rejection) comes in the mail. 

Another problem of mine, or I guess a better term would be pet peeve, is when my parents open the letters and find out the decision before me.  It takes away from the significance of the moment if parents open the letter. It seems to me, even though they are paying the application fee and the tuition, like a bit of an invasion of privacy.

So for those of you who are relieved about high school being over because you have been accepted to college or know what you will be doing next year, congratulations. 

For those of you who feel as though they have just been backhanded, remember  college isn’t for everyone and there are so many other things that can be done to have a successful life.