Girls’ lacrosse reading to victory

Katie Ours, Sports Editor

When you first think of a team-bonding exercise, you picture trust falls or blindfolded walks down a rocky path, but not for the WS Varsity Girl’s lacrosse team. This year the Varsity coaching staff has a different idea for the team.
The Hard Hat by Jon Gordon is an inspirational true story of a Cornell lacrosse player who lost his life on the field. This tragic story was the book assigned to the WS girl’s lacrosse team to read this season.
“I was definitely a little skeptical about reading this book, but honestly it was amazing. The best part about reading this book was it made you want to become a better person and a better teammate,” said senior Colleen Dewing.
The book was assigned because of its inspirational message and emphasis on teamwork and leadership, necessary components of a team sport. Just like so many others, the girl’s lacrosse team has had some struggles in the past with teamwork and togetherness.
“Well, last season was a little bit of a sticky season. It was a little rough so I think that they (the coaches) wanted to get in our heads, and say that this is who you need to be, this is a good teammate, and this is the best that you can be,” said junior Mary Ormsby. “They were just trying to motivate us.”
This motivational assignment seems to already be working at inspiring the girls, creating strong friendships and establishing teamwork on and off the field. When it comes to high school sports it means that you will be spending lots of time together and teamwork is a large component.
“I like being able to pass and know that my teammate will catch it, or trust and have faith that they will catch it,” said senior Sarah Evans. “It just brings us closer. Obviously being on a team is a lot of fun, to hang out with girls that you have similar interests with.”
The reading assignment hasn’t just inspired the varsity team, but also the younger generation who will be the next ones to take the field.
“I like the idea because I think Coach Puhlick making them read the book is a really creative way to show them that in order for the team to play well, everyone has to put in the effort, said sophomore and JV lacrosse player Andrea Michael.
The teamwork shown in the book has really reminded the players of why they play the sport and the love that they all share for the same game.
“Being a senior it’s a little bittersweet knowing this is my last season as a Spartan but my favorite part of lacrosse is we are such a family and I know my team has my back through every part,” said Dewing. “This book reflects that because lacrosse is a lot more than just playing, it’s about playing together.”