Dealing with the DMV

It’s a rite of passage. Trying to weasel your way out is close to impossible. Trust me I’ve tried.

Visiting the DMV is one of the many pleasures that one must endure in the process of getting behind the wheel for the first time. It is just like waiting in the emergency room.

There is an orderly system that is in place where the unfortunate teen waiting to take her permit test is forced to stare at a large TV screen for hours waiting for the number on the tiny slip of paper she holds to be called.

Rows upon rows of cold plastic chairs fill the room while people you have never seen before and probably will never see again are sitting across the room, not wanting to get close to anyone.

When I entered the DMV for the first time, I trotted down a prickly blue carpet. It was narrow and long and reminded me of some type of primitive draw bridge.

Sadly that was not the case. Instead I came face to face with a tired-looking clerk who looked like he would rather be anywhere but there.

I couldn’t agree with him more. I just wanted to get the test over with so they could say “here have your shinny plastic card and please try not to total your car.”

Turns out I would not get the pleasure of getting it over with because of my unusual amount of bad luck; all the computers were down so I’d have to come back later.

Upon further review, I am surprised I didn’t just quit then and try again later like the nice clerk said but instead with the help of my father I went on a wild goose chase to find a DMV at a different location.

When I got to the next DMV I was greeted by a nice female clerk who then told me I didn’t have the right paper work. I left disheartened.

The following week my luck changed for the better. I brought with me the right paper work and came right when the DMV opened in the morning. I was quickly given my waiting number and was hustled on to a plastic chair in front of the TV screen. There were only ten numbers ahead of me.

An hour later I was called and then 30 after that, I took my test and received a sheet of paper telling me I was free to drive.

The only thing I regret was not bringing an appropriate amount of reading material.