Advanced placement or advanced pressure?

Students who take AP classes often feel drowned in coursework. Additionally, they also feel overwhelmed with pressure.
Photo courtesy of Katelyn Hurley

The infamous Advanced Placement (AP) classes are a way for students to get college credit and a GPA boost while still in high school, but students have mixed feelings about the pressure to take more than they can carry.
“Everyone I know has been taking APs, and if I wasn’t taking AP, it would be kinda like I was below them,” said senior Rachel Woodworth, who is taking an AP art class.
While the initial idea of AP courses was for students who did not feel academically challenged in their classes to be able to get ahead in college courses and explore new topics, some students feel that the classes have turned into an academic competition.
“Everyone in the school is taking APs and you kind of feel stupid if you don’t take, like, 1,000 APs,” continued Woodworth.
Instead of being a way to take interesting and rigorous classes, others feel that AP classes have strayed away from that goal because of how popular and normalized they have become.
“It’s really competitive here compared to the rest of the United States. Like, not taking high level classes kind of makes you like less of a competitor when it comes to colleges,” said senior Anika Pant, who is taking five AP classes this year.
According to the FCPS school profile website, in the 2021-2022 school year, 715 students participated in an AP course at WS.
“You’ve got to stick out especially with NOVA where so many people are such high achievers,” said senior Sarayu Jilludumudi, who is taking three AP classes.
In addition to pressure with academic roots, pressure from other students also runs high.
“Seeing other people taking [harder] classes, makes you also want to achieve that,” said junior Bisma Jhamat, who is currently taking four AP classes.
High school is a pivotal time for students. Many are prone to peer pressure particularly regarding higher level classes, especially once they see that everyone else is taking them.
“There’s definitely a sort of culture where it’s like, if you’re not taking all APs, what’s wrong with you?” said junior Sasha Morrison, who is also taking five AP classes.
AP classes are meant to be difficult, college-level classes that not everyone is going to take, but several students have experienced immense pressure from classmates to take classes that they don’t feel prepared for.
“Some of my friends label me as ‘dumb’ simply because I just take regular classes. I’m tired of hearing people tell me I’m only smart if I take APs,” said junior Mat Hemmer, who is not taking any AP classes.
Taking one AP is challenging enough for some, but many students pile AP classes onto their schedule, leading to immense levels of stress.
“The classes I take now are influenced by my mental health and my motivation to actually do the work. I am smart enough to do it, I just simply don’t have enough time on my hands for APs,” finished Hemmer.
While small doses of stress can be a helpful, needed push, too much stress can force students to take classes that they are not ready for, or that they have a lack of interest for.