The power of Powerpuff

Photo courtesy of Paula De Megret-Murray
The 2023 Powerpuff game was the first game held in four years. Participating girls expressed how happy they were that the game returned. “This is very important for us girls, it’s very empowering,” said senior Katherine Cruz.

It was Spartans versus Spartans during the 2023 Powerpuff game. The freshmen played against the sophomores and the juniors played against the seniors. The sophomores and seniors were the victors, prevailing over their opponents in closely fought games.
Powerpuff flag football was planned as a Homecoming week activity. The planning for the game was intensive since a Powerpuff game had not been held since 2019. Senior Eunice Choe, representative from the @wspowerpuff Instagram, expressed that the senior Student Government Association (SGA) officers were determined to make the tournament happen.
“As senior officers, we wanted something new and challenging as a homecoming event for our last year,” said Choe.
Teams were determined by grade, and football players from the WS team served as coaches for their classes’ team. The freshmen coaches were Adrian Perez, Johan Logan, and Colin Burns. The sophomore coaches were Brian Walrath and Brady Davies. The junior coaches were Mark Anthony, Aaron Turney, and AC Ross. The senior coaches were Devante Rudolph and Hunter Morris.
“It was great to have Powerpuff back in the school community this year. I know a lot of girls were eager to play,” said Choe.
The freshmen versus sophomore game ended in a 12-6 score, with the sophomores taking the win. The sophomore coaches expressed frustration with the referees on their calls throughout the game.
“Definitely a big factor in the flaring emotions were the referees. We were constantly telling them things and it’s like it went through one ear and out the other,” said sophomore coach Brady Davies.
However, the sophomore coaches also demonstrated great joy and pride throughout the game. Their passion for their players, especially, really shined through while they stood on the sideline.
“I have a lot of respect for the players who took time out of their lives to come here and play, and the scoreboard reflects that hard work,” said sophomore coach Brian Walrath.
The excitement of the night reached a high when the junior versus senior game commenced.
Senior Kiki Richardson led her team to score two touchdowns, determining the outcome of the game.
“The runs were really tiring but I’m proud of myself for making such big plays and running hard,” said Richardson. Richardson’s teammates expressed their pride in the way she was playing all night.
There was heated tension during the middle of the junior versus senior game as both teams were tied neck and neck at 6-6. Not long after, the juniors got ahead of the seniors, creating apparent stress and frustration in the student section. However, the seniors ultimately ended up winning 22-14 when Denise Lord scored the final touchdown.
“This game was fire and Richardson killed it. We couldn’t have done it without her and Denise Lord. They carried us,” said senior Gabriella Thompson.
Hunter Morris, the coach for the senior team was elated while speaking about his team.
“I’m ecstatic. We’re the best team to come out of WS, and that’s the truth,” said Morris.
Beyond the outcome of the both games, the event meant something special to all who participated.
“Powerpuff means connecting with a group of girls, girls that I love, girls that I have spent the last three to four years with, and it was our last chance to get together and make some important memories,” said senior Katherine Cruz.
Many expressed how empowered they felt as women throughout the game. Watching young women be competitive and aggressive brought great joy to the players who participated and those watching from the bleachers.
“Powerpuff is an opportunity to experience things that I have always wanted to experience, which was football, and it’s fun that they gave us a chance to do it as women, because usually only men can play the game,” said senior Liya Ashenafi.
The long awaited Powerpuff event ended with the student section running onto the football field and huddling around the senior team, a powerful moment to be remembered for the class of 2024.