Summertime presents: the ol’ ’80s high school classics

High school movies—that is, movies about high school—will never go out of style.  There will always be a story for the high schoolers and high schoolers at heart to entertain themselves with.  A story of love, lust, ambition, dreams, etc. Facing adversity, discrimination, or injustice all in just about two hours.

Mainly because high school will never go out of style, and there will always be an upcoming freshman class. As Matthew McConaughey says in “Dazed and Confused,” “That’s what I love about these high school [movies], man. I get older, they stay the same age.”

There will always be newbs, facing their eminent four-year journey through young adulthood. And the great thing about this is the movies that come out of it.

But my favorite part about high school movies is how accurate they actually are.  I’m not suggesting that the stereotypes are accurate, for I am not one to agree with any social stereotype. The situations portrayed are pretty accurate though.

The best perspective to look at this is through time periods. The eighties: “Ferris Bueller’s Day Off,” “The Breakfast Club,” “Sixteen Candles,” “Pretty in Pink,” and “Dazed and Confused,” all staple movies in the history of high school.

We will never know what it was like when our parents went to high school because they don’t care to share their embarrassing stories of their own awkwardness, but that doesn’t mean their history is gone. It triumphs through John Hughes movies. They display all the awkwardness high schoolers will never stop going through.

Though we think we grow out of our freshman stages, we don’t and we won’t phase out of them until we hold that beautiful piece of paper, that is our diploma.

This piece of paper has literally been haunting my dreams lately, teasing me. Holding itself in front of me, tying itself to a stick and stapling itself to my forehead taunting me with the four month long haul.

The last months of our high school career is better portrayed in the high school movies of today. Those movies are our story, our history, our LIVES!

They are much different that the ones of the eighties but have a very similar theme though we overlook it.

“Superbad,” “Juno,” “Mean Girls,” “10 Things I Hate About You” portrays our generation, our lives. These are the stories our children will watch, and they’ll be puzzled about our outfits and our lingo just as we are when we watch “Pretty in Pink.”